Thursday, December 06, 2007

Worst than Darfur, the Holocaust and the Hills all rolled into one

The worst thing in the world, in my opinion, is wasting money. It’s more painful than having dental surgery without an anaesthetic, more reckless than walking around in December in Canada without a coat, and more foolish than going to India without all the proper vaccinations.

So this really makes my blood boil. It appeared a few weeks ago in the National Post’s Holiday Gift Guide.


It’s a mug. With a cookie shelf. It might be cute, but it costs $40. Per mug. With cookie shelf. It was probably designed by Hitler.

And then to the other extreme, I saw the funniest thing the other day: I was taking the Bathurst bus up one day when a man got on pushing a wheelchair. But there wasn’t anyone sitting in it; he had loaded it up with boxes and bags. He happened to see a friend on the bus and explained that he was moving to a new apartment. So instead of renting a moving van, or even taking a taxi, he decided to load up a wheelchair and move his stuff through a few trips on the Bathurst bus. I thought it was funny but the bus driver was not as amused. Particularly because the wheelchair was so wide that no one could get past it and had to stand near the front doors. And when the cheapass finally decided to disembark, his wheelchair tipped over and spilled its contents into the snowy sidewalk. It was awesome. Not the least because I now know that there are people out there who are cheaper than me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank-you for making us aware of an issue that should concern. Not all people in wheelchairs are unable to walk. There should be policies and standards developed.

Anonymous said...

That mug must be one of the coolest inventions ever! I probably wouldn't pay more than $15dollars for it... but it is so genius!

Anonymous said...

I have a sudden, powerful urge to buy an overpriced ceramic item, but I already spent my money on wheatgrass juice and t-shirts with Che Guevara's picture on them.

Erin said...

Aw, that's kind of cool. But I'm cheap, so would rather use a cup and saucer. I'm also lazy, and it doesn't look like it would fit in the dishwasher.