Friday, April 18, 2008

Nothing like a little morning awkwardness to start the day off right

Spring has sprung (for real this time), and after almost eight months of wearing sweaters and jackets, I decided to embrace the good weather and dress up a little today. I changed clothes about three times until I found the perfect outfit. I spent extra time on my hair, and put on makeup and jewelry. Let’s just say I was feeling pretty good, especially when my fashionable roommate said that I looked great.

But then I got on the elevator. I was listening to my iPod and nodded hello to the older man who was already inside. Instead of giving me a curt nod back, which is the only polite thing to do in such situations, he started to chat. I still had my earbuds on, so I couldn’t quite hear him, but I did hear him say the word “beautiful”.

Thinking that he was complimenting me on my uncharacteristically kept appearance, I beamed, and said “thanks so much!” His face froze. Then he awkwardly explained “I said that it’s really beautiful outside today.” Oops. Then I had to spend the next few minutes making uncomfortable small talk about the weather.

The lesson here is obvious: when someone tries talking to you in the elevator, just ignore them and keep listening to your iPod.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sure that you did look beautiful baby. God that the old man in the elevator was not coming on to you ...better some embarrassment than a lech.