Thursday, October 05, 2006

Lost in lost (and in class)

Well, I've moved on from thinking that everyone else in my program is freakishly smart. Because they are, but I've also realized that I'm just really, really really dumb. Seriously. My comments in class are insightful...of my stupidity! I remember when I was at Hebrew U and Natalie Portman was taking grad classes there at the same, one of my delightfully catty friends whose name rhymes with Bydia would talk about how she didn't seem like the sharpest crayon in the box based on her contributions in class. I shudder at the thought of what my fellow students think about me.

So because of the monumental amount of work that I have to do now, I'm only watching 3 television programs this season. Studio 60, because I love love love Aaron Sorkin, Ugly Betty, because it seems cute, and Lost. Because it is the Best. Show. Ever. I started watching last year when my wonderful former (*sob*) roommate Sana would send me the episodes over MSN and I fell in love. It's like nothing else that I've ever seen on television. I think that the reason why I like it so much is because I find most tv shows (and movies, and books) so formulaic that I'm rarely surprised. But with Lost, I seriously have no idea what's going to happen next. Plus Sayid is pretty hot. David watches it too, but isn't as big a fan, because he has no taste. (Except in girlfriends). Anyway, does anyone else watch it? Want to talk about the hotness of Sayid and the annoyingness of Charlie?

And in other news, the International Festival of Authors is going on now in Toronto, and Jonathan Safran Foer is in town. He's my new crush. And you'd like him too if your type was nerdy Jewish guys. So cute!

6 comments:

Erin said...

Oh yeah, Sayid is just so hot... and that Charlie? Annnoooying. Actually, I don't watch lost... sorry, I just never got into it.

He he, yeah, I can relate to the feeling really really dumb at school right about now. Not that my other classmates seem disproportionately brighter than me (I'd say I'm riding that average line quite nicely), but this week the fun for the staff has seemed to be plunking you down infront of an instrument with as many buttons as a mutant octopus has arms and going "have at 'er" while only giving to sketchily drawn up instructions. I've really felt totally inept all week. >.<

Samantha Farbman said...

I miss you!!!!!! Come back to Seattle for heck's sake!!!!

Anonymous said...

I think that you are pretty smart because you use words like "formulaic". Remember, each of your classmates is likely feeling similarly dumb and overwhelmed. That is the goal of the first year of studies - to break you. It is kind of like academic bootcamp. Unfortunately you have to then reconstruct yourself. Sigh...you can do it, babes.

Anonymous said...

Where is Leora? We miss her!!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad your love for lost is still there! I am also lost in lost as ever. Although people are hurting my feelings Leora :( I tried getting my new roomate hooked to it but she stopped after watching two episodes (which I really don't think she even watched.. cuz it's not possible not to love lost). Hassan isn't that crazy about it anymore either, he still likes it but doesn't love it... while my love for lost is turning into an obession since I am up to date with it and only get it once a week unlike before when I was used to watch 2,3 episodes in a row.
Good news: I found nearly 6000 Losties like us on Facebook who come and discuss any theory they can think of and count down till the next episode.
Other than Lost am lovin' House MD.. but I am nearly up to date on that one as well so am thinking about starting Prison Break.. heard it's good. Although nothing can ever be as good as Lost.. cuz it's just LOST.

And yes Sayid is still sho hot! and Charlie still annoying.. he even looks annoying to me.. and it's not so good to know that he is dating Kate in real life.

If you don't mind spoilers you should watch the official lost podcast. It's nothing great but it works like a little sniff at the height of addiction (lol I donno how I came up with such great comparison)

ok I should stop now.

Lost in LOST!

Leora said...

OMG Sana, Hasan isn't into Lost anymore either? We seriously need to find ourselves better boyfriends. I pick Sayid.

Did you also hate last week's episode? I won't say what happened in case you haven't, but I'm pissed. Seriously pissed. I hated the episode (found it boring) and really hated the ending. And why am I writing this on my blog? Maybe I'll check out facebook--who knew that it was good for something other than stalking old classmates!

Only one more episode till the break. It looks like it'll be good though!