Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Keep your kessef - part 1

So as promised, I'm going to start a semi-regular post on my favouritest of all favourite subjects: money! I've been reading personal finance blogs a lot lately, and found that they often have great tips and information. And at the very least, it's neat to read that there are other people as money-obsessed as me out there. So here goes, the first in what will probably be many installments of personal finance: Keep your kessef!

I've been spending a lot of time in libraries lately, because as one of my profs says, the it is the natural habitat of grad students. But they're great for everyone. Why? Because they're FREE! Okay, technically we've already paid for them in our taxes or tuition, so we may as well get our money's worth. I absolutely hate it when people (*cough* David *cough*) buy new books off of Amazon, before they know if they'll even like it. I like to read a book first, see if I like it, and then buy it. But then again, not everyone can be as cool as me. Many have tried...few have succeeded.

Libraries aren't just crammed full of musty old books taking up space. Nowadays, most have pretty good audio-visual collections, so you can borrow the latest Brad Pitt movie for a week, free of charge. Then you can rip it onto your computer, convert it to Divx, burn onto a blank DVD, and salivate over the hotness that is Brad whenever you want. Then you can borrow a Whitney Houston CD, rip "I Will Always Love You", take clips of Brad Pitt in the movie and edit pictures of yourself into it, and post it on Youtube. Not that I've ever done it, of course. But it's an idea.

And finally, a lot of libraries sell off their stuff, especially donated material. Just this past week I saw a book that I was going to buy for $25 on sale for a buck, in absolutely perfect condition! Yeah, so I was excited. They often have great books, so check it out often.

Anyway, school is still going well, though on Monday I accidentally misspelled my name on a class list that the prof passed around. I don't know why, but I put an extra "S" at the end of Bereskin, thus cementing my reputation as the dumbest of all dummies in my department. (And I didn't correct it, I thought that it would be too embarrassing. Now I'm looking into legally changing my name.) Oh, and also, I've started to take multi-vitamin pills, and it's turned my pee into this awesome neon yellow colour. Very amusing. Next "Keep Your Kessef" post will be on credit cards and banks. So stay tuned, y'all.

7 comments:

Erin said...

he he he.... neon yellow :-)

Leora said...

Ahh, it's the bonnie Erin from bonnie Scotland! Glad you could take time off of your haggis-eating, scotch-drinking, hairy-coo-looking and bagpipe-playing schedule to drop by, and show exactly why we get along so well...it's all about the love of potty humour. And science jokes.

Anonymous said...

I think mis-spelling your name is so cute!
My friend John for some reason has his name as Adam there ( I think it's his middle name) so his email address and badge all say Adam instead of John.

Buying books is a good thing! That way we build up impressive library collections and can woo girls with it.

And while Leora, you haven't done it with Brad Pitt, I'm far more confident that you were put into some Patrick Stewart movies.

Speaking of which, have you ever seen Masterminds? It has your boy in it :)

Anonymous said...

Good news, Leora. Here at the constituency office, I can help you procure a legal name change for the low, low price of $137. It's a real bargain. Unfortunately, however, processing time is approx. 22 weeks. So you had better get started right away!

Leora said...

Can't you get me a discount, man? What good is having friends in high places if these friends can't get you a good deal? $137 is a bit too pricey for me, maybe it would make better financial sense for me to marry a "Bereskins". I'll have my brother do the math.

Anonymous said...

The government doesn't believe in discounts. But the 22 weeks was the super-speedy friend processing time. Otherwise it would take, like, 5 years.

Erin said...

he he... well I'm starting to get a bit of a cold right now and I'm downing the vitamin C like a crazy lady... so things are positively glow-in-the-dark at my end ;-)

Marry a Bereskins eh? Better get your brother to factor in the odds of meeting one because a quick google turned up nil. :-(