Thursday, October 25, 2007

Parents say the darndest things

Two posts in one day. And I'm probably going to have something else to write about during the weekend. Does this mean that I have finally found my long-lost blog muse, and will be posting more on a more regular basis? Actually, it means I was lying in bed, having trouble getting to sleep. But let's hope it's the muse thing too.

Anyways, I was driving back with my mom after spending this past weekend in Rochester (visiting the delightful Fred!) when the song "Manic Monday" came on the radio. You know the one...seminal song of the 80s by the Bangles? So my mom turns to me and says "That's such a nice little song. I don't understand why it's not more successful."

Ahem. I know that my mom is...what's the PC term?...older...and isn't so familiar with modern music. So if she mistakenly thought that one of Fergie's big hits was a little-known song, I'd forgive her. But this is "Manic Monday". It came out in 1986. For more than 20 years, she's been hearing it. It's not some little-known song, it was one of the biggest hits of the 1980s that is still frequently played on the radio. But I love my mom, who is so delightfully oblivious about pop culture. And I better start introducing her to Michael Jackson and Madonna, for fear that she ponders aloud to someone else why they were never very successful.

In other music news, Ace of Base is reuniting. I may just die. Now how about the girls in Salt-n-Pepa, eh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My hippocampus stopped storing after Julie Andrews and the Sound of Music.

Samantha Farbman said...

Um you are the funniest writer of our day. Our garden is fresh out of eggplant, but don't you want to learn to ski or something? Visit!!!