Friday, January 09, 2009

Everything's better with singing lobsters

The opera's starting again, and I'm very excited, because one of the pieces is Rusakla by Dvořák. I love Dvořák, as much as it is possible to love a grumpy looking Czech composer who has been dead for a hundred years. (Meaning, a hell of a lot.)

But I'm doubly excited because Rusalka is based on Hans Christian Andersen's story The Little Mermaid. When I was 5, the Disney movie was the shit, and I imagine that the opera will be even better. At the very least, I'm looking forward to seeing the singing lobster.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I used to have a childrens copy of the original little mermaid... where she dies.... freaked me out when I was a kid.

Now I don't hesitate to remind people that in the real little mermaid, "Arial" kicks the bucket.

Leora said...

I don't blame Disney for making it a happy ending. Now that I'm older, I kind of like the dark and depressing, but it would have traumatized me as a kid. Besides which, how can you have a sad movie with singing lobsters??