First of all, I'd like to give a shout-out to my wonderful friend Alona who just got into Speech Language Pathology at U of T. Yay!! I'm especially excited because we haven't gone to the same school together since Associated Hebrew School in grade 8. So now that we're both going to be at U of T, we'll be able to Sushi on Bloor it up all the time. Yay! Mazel tov, Alonatchka, I'm so proud of you. My mom is a speech pathologist also and so now she calls Alona the daughter that she never had. Thanks Eema.Which brings me to my post: now that I'm going to be moving back to Toronto full time for the next 5 + years, I have to decide where to live. Should I move back home or shall I get an apartment of my own? I think I'm going to approach this the same way that I approach all my problems: do a cost-benefit analyis of the situation. That's one of the main things that I remember from my Econ class (well, that and the marginal utility of sex), because I find it applicable to all areas of life. So, my choices are:
Live at home:
- Free room and board
- Free maid to clean the house....I mean....a wonderful mother to clean the house
- Save money for a downpayment of a house (because as Modechai Richler says, "A man without land is nothing!")
- Spend more time with my mom, who rocks, even when she acts like an evil bitch from hell
Rent an apartment:
- Live in the trendy Annex area, right beside Sushi on Bloor
- Not having to live with my mother
- Privacy and independence
- Not having to live with my mother
- No 9:15 mandatory bedtime
- Not having to live with my mother
Now although the "rent an apartment" option has more bullet points, I'll still probably live at home, at least for my first year. Because, hey, it's money, and Leora hearts money. Besides, if I got my own apartment I'd have to find new roommates or make Sana transfer to U of T. Now that would be awesome. We were both to lazy to change the microwave clock after daylight savings time in the fall one hour behind, so now that the second daylight savings time happened, we finally have the correct time on our clock. Plus, she brings me samonsas. My mom doesn't bring me samosas....I think I need to redo my cost-benefit analysis.
11 comments:
I think you should definitely go for your dreams and save up for the house. :)
But I have to request the caveat that I will always be welcomed there. Even if you're not living there. Put it in the lease agreement.
Also, Congrats Alona! That's so amazing. I'm so happy for you and that both of you will be together.
what-- you might choose not to live with your mother!!! she sounds like such an amazing lady!!!
free room and board and she'll clean-- as for the 9:15 bedtime--just climb out the window!!!
David: You'll always be welcome in my home, even if I'm not living there, or even if we're not still together. Since I'll need to rent out the other rooms and basement apartment in order to pay the mortgage, I'll try to rent to some nice Jewish girls for you.
Baycrest employee - at first I thought that you were my mom, but even she admits that she's not an "amazing lady". Her file names on our home computer is Bonnie the Bitch Personal, Bonnie the Bitch Work, Bonnie the Bitch Loves Stephen Harper, etc. But then when I talked to her tonight, she told me about her departmental discussions on my favourite topic...me! Although are you actually in her department, and you still think that she's awesome? Are we thinking of the same woman?
you should totally live downtown. commuting is a bitch, and the annex is wonderful.
Thanks for the warm wishes! I would not have been able to do it if it wasn't for your mom's help, so thanks to her as well.
I'm so excited that we'll finally be going to the same school again (though since we won't be in the same building we won't be able to throw notes to each other like we used to (or stuff them into pens)) :)
Here is what you should do, see how you can put all the benefits togehter and well the costs.. well just forget the costs.
You should get an appartment near the Sushi bar. I'll transfer but you can pay my rent. Just look at the bright side! Your mum will bring me brownies, We can have all the sushi we want, I'll bring samosas, anddd I'll bring along the microwave so you wont have to buy a new one and go through the hassle of fixing time on it.
To throw in the Cost part: My above advice is free!
Shame on you for not wanting to live with your Mom. What an ingrate.
Shame on you for not wanting to live with your Mom. What an ingrate.
You don't deserve such a lovely mother.
And I guess she doesn't deserve a wacko friend like you :-p
Seen the news on Dahab? I might try to dig up the email address of Ahmed, or whatever Rami's brother's name was. Man. This sucks.
Post a Comment