Sunday, March 26, 2006

School's (almost) out for the summer

I love Canada in the springtime. Not because it's particularly beautiful or because it's a sign that school is almost over for the year; it's because I love watching how Canadians react at the first sign of "warm" weather. Here in Waterloo, the temperature is now above 0C and students and staff alike have decided to dress like it's Miami in the middle of the summer. Half the people are wearing shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops, while the other half are still wearing their bulky winter coats. It's awesome. I'm sitting in the library and am watching a group of Mathies taking advantage of the weather by playing Frisbee on a grassy field in the middle of campus. The only problem is that Mathies are not known for their athletic abilities so they only catch the Frisbee 1 out of 4 times....and sometimes it veers off into the walking path and nearly hits students who are passing by. Only in the 'loo.

I just had a field trip in my Ecotoxicology class that was super-fun, except when my professor pretended to throw a leech on me. This is one of my nicer profs, by the way. They don't share things like this in the UW brochure. This is a picture of my class and it was taken on Saturday. The Grand River was frozen then and we spent the entire outside in the snow and rain. And now, it's gorgeous outside. Love this weather!

I only have a couple more weeks until I graduate, which is both exciting and terrifying. Now that it's so close to the end, I've decided to have a little fun with my otherwise dry assignments. So I'm throwing in Star Trek references into my Bio term-papers, and am even writing a whole Lit essay comparing the roles and lives of affluent young women in Victorian versus modern-day New York (basically, comparing Edith Wharton to Sex and the City. It's awesome.) Except I did just finish a paper that is so painfully bad that I literally pity whoever has to read it. 40 pages of crap is a lot to handle.

Also, happy happy happy birthday to David! He's the most kind, sweet and smart guy that a girl could ever ask for (and he tolerates my awful jokes like "I can't continue to date you if you just have an undergrad degree--a Bachelor stays a bachelor!"). Happy birthday!

And finally, apparently my former classmate (and BFF) Natalie Portman is in Toronto filming...but has she called me up to go out for sushi? No! Apparently our semester together meant nothing to her *sob* Just for that, I'm not going to illegally download her new movie.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally don't both illegally downloading Nat's new movie. It is not worth the bandwidth stress.

(Although her fake British accent is funny..)

Leora said...

At least she doesn't talk with the fake British accent for real. I was at Phils once and this cute started talking to me with an even cuter British accent. I asked him where he was from, and he said Toronto...apparently his parents are from England so that means that he has an accent anyway, even though he was born and raised in Canada. Sheesh.

Anonymous said...

What, our accent wasn't good enough for him? What a smarmy bloke.

Anonymous said...

Aww, thank you for the birthday wishes sweetie :)

Mathies are really bad at frisbee. I remember in first year, my friends and I played frisbee on the green outside of MKV. Yes, we managed to get a frisbee stuck in a tree with no branches. Also, only crazy people play frisbee on a slope. Luckily, we were not terrible enough to throw it into the ravine, but we did come awfully close.


You should definitely post the Natalie Portman video. It's so amazingly funny :) Ok, fine, I'll do it :) The best video ever

I'm so excited for you. Graduating. Having your Bachelor's degree and onto bigger and better things :)

Leora said...

Hahaha, totally Lyds. See, if you'd started speaking with a bit of a Brittish accent, it would be somewhat understandable since you're living in Oxford now. But he'd never even been to the UK! I was dissapointed. And amused.

And David, I prefer to think of you as an Engineer, not a Mathie because although you're technically both, you're too cool (and unlike my brother Fred) to be a genuine, bonafide Mathie. Obviously you're not a Bio student because what tree doesn't have branches?

And finally, yeah, I'm excited too to be graduating and moving on to bigger and better things (and boys). Hahaha, I'm a bitch.

Anonymous said...

Eeeks! I meant leaves, not branches. You Bio students. Always one step ahead of the Engineers...

I think of myself as a Softie most of the time. (Also, for those who laugh at the Softies, think about the Systems Engineers. Those damm Sysies...)

Leora said...

That's funny because I also think of you as a Softie...

I'm just kidding, everyone!

Samantha Farbman said...

I love that you just said "mathies"