Ack, I fear that I've been neglecting my blog, no doubt leaving a void in the lives of my faithful readers. Well have no fear, because I'm back! Well, sort of: I was planning on doing a major post, to fill you in on what I've been up to the past few months (lots-o-Patrick Stewart lusting) but I'm not ready yet. And I just saw the most amazing piece on the news, so that personal post will have to wait....because I've got science news!Apparently there is a company out there called DNA 11 that makes art out of molecular biology. They print out DNA gels on canvas to frame as modern art, and sell them for a minimum of $390 a pop. Awesome, eh?
Part of me is filled with admiration, but another part of me is jealous beyond words. Because I thought of that idea first!! Way back in undergrad, when I would be working in labs, I'd always be amazed at how beautiful my agarose gels would be after a round of PCR. I used to joke with my friend Karen that I would frame them and put them around my house. And now this is exactly what a company is doing, making lots-o-money in the process! Fuckers. Well, maybe all is not lost, because I think that scans of fluorescent probes or microarrays are even more beautiful. So who knows, if grad school doesn't work out for me, I could always become an artist. A rich artist (is that an oxymoron?)
6 comments:
That actually is a really cool idea and they do a great job at marketing it.
Yes, yes you have been neglecting your blog. For shame *shakes head*
That is a totally cool idea though. I'd buy one... but I just don't know where I'd hang it in my house. ;-)
OMG where have you been? OMG science. OMG.
Hey check out these: http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/en/bia/gallery.html
I am so in love with the Asprin Crystal
I liked your post, though I was hoping for some Natalie Portman gossip
Thanks for all the comments, my little cherubs. I'm glad that you're all as excited by science as I am! But enough with the geekiness. I promise that my next post will be more cool. Like a list of the things that I love about Patrick Stewart.
Post a Comment