Sunday, September 10, 2006

"My cat's breath smells like cat food."

Well I survived my first week of school...but just barely. Remember when I was talking about how all the other grad students seemed so smart and sophisticated and accomplished? Well, after having met most of them, I've come to the conclusion that they're far, far smarter, more sophisticated and accomplished than I had previously thought. In fact, I think they're mutants.

Hence the X-Men picture (what, you think I'm just posting it to see my hunky man?). Seriously though, they're freaks. How else can they be so frigging intelligent? On Friday, we all went out for drinks at a local bar, and I was talking with a super-nice girl beside me about Snakes on a Plane. We happened to catch a bit of the conversation that two guys near us were having, and realized that they were talking about the philosophical consequences of the relationship between chaos theory and artificial intelligence. Wahh? Exsqueeze me? First of all, I have no idea what that means. Second of all...am I supposed to know what that means?!

Overall though, I'm having a really good time. They're extremely nice (I guess when they were genetically modified to be super-humanly smart, they were also given genes for "niceness") and cool, and I have the sneaking suspicion that they'd like my science jokes. And although I'm sort of intimidated, I guess it's better to be in this type of environment, where I can learn the most. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? I thought that grad school would just be an extension of undergrad, but no, it is so, so different. How? Well, for one thing, all the students are mutants. Well, in any case, if I survive the next few days of class I'll make an update, with the science jokes and budgeting tips that I promised earlier. Enjoy the weather fellow Torontonians, it's gorgeous outside today.

No comments: