Monday, November 20, 2006

Pondering about wandering

I was reading the blog of another former UWer Nathan when I saw a link to Jeff Seidel's website. Now for those of you who don't know, Jeff Seidel is a really, really rich religious Jew who does a lot of outreach work. He had a centre opposite my dorm at Hebrew University when I was in Jerusalem, and we'd go over there to use the cheap laundry, watch the free movies, and avoid Jeff's slightly pervie assistant Shlomo. Good times, good times. But never in my life did I think that I'd be so desperate to travel again that I'd be willing to go to Israel on one of his "study programs".

It's also my mom's fault. She came home the other day and told me that the daughter of one of her clients is currently canoing in the Nile in Uganda. They have another boat following behind in case one of them falls in the water and gets caught by the crocodiles. I miss travelling. And to be specific, I miss Israel and Egypt. Many of my friends are in exotic locations now and I'm stuck in Toronto. Sure, I did just come back from a trip to the UK, but I've been there so many times before that it wasn't as exciting. Plus, I didn't have a single near-death experience!

It doesn't make financial sense to travel again, but for probably the first time in my life, my love of money isn't overwhelming all my other emotions. So who knows what will happen this summer? I'm TAing in July and August, so I have two entire months free. Perhaps I will head back to the Middle East. It's been a while since I've been to Gaza, and look how much it's changed!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You''re TAing this summer? Dude, that is awesome! Seriously, congrats. What class are you tutoring? One things that sucks about the UK is the lack of teaching opportunities for grad students... Actually, come to think of it, that's probably just Oxford and their crazy policy of one-on-one tutoring with real profs for all students. That's also what we in North America call "bad long-term financial decision". Seriously.

Leora said...

Thank you very much. I've been trying to decide what kind of TA I'd like to be: the super-fun and encouraging one who puts happy-face stickers on essays, or the scary and bitchy one who won't give out a grade higher than a 70% and will fail anyone who doesn't laugh at my science jokes. I'm leaning towards the latter. I actually have to TA as part of my funding package, and I've been looking at it more as a chore, but you're right, maybe it will be fun. Especially if I can make some undergrads cry.

And quit your bitching about not being a TA. You're in Oxford, ferchristsake!

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't it also be my fault too?

I'm in Boston! And...journeying across borders!