This year has taught me that the best way to prepare for the vocab section of the GRE is to do a year of grad school. You just learn so many new words. I've started to pepper my everyday conversations with them, not just because I think they makes me look smart (in a Conrad Black sort of way), but also because they are just really fun to pronounce. They're like pretentious tongue-twisters! Here are a couple of my favourites:
Phenomenology - The study of phenomenon. My all time favourite. I wish I could study the phenomenology of why it's so fun to say.
Verisimilitude - The appearance of truth. Just like this blog post has the appearance of being funny.
Historiography - The study of history. This one I like, but always either forget a syllable, or add an extra one. No one notices though, right?
My mom and I came up with the ultimate of all words today by combining these three, to produce verisimiliphenomenologicography (definition: The study of the seemingly true phenomenon of making up words). We literally pulled it out of our asses, but how else do academics coin phrases? It's going to catch on. Use it today!
Tuesday, November 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment