Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Culture and sophistication pouring out my ass

There's something about reading mind-numbingly boring articles all day that makes me fit for nothing intellectually deeper than Beauty and the Geek or Harry Potter. But as soon as I started The History of Love I knew it was love at first read. It's glorious and haunting and makes me wish that I had even 1/100th of Krauss's talent. I feel the same way about Pan's Labyrinth. How I wish I were a creative person. But alas, I am not, and will spend the rest of my life studying the works of others rather than creating my own.

But, like, anywho, on a much lower cultural note, I've just found something that satisfies my love of BBC miniseries that are remakes of 19th century novels. It's based on Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South and is so sinfully good. It's a lot like Pride & Prejudice except it has the added bonus theme of capitalism (yay money!). The male lead may be no Colin Firth, but he is pretty dreamy. I read the book a few years ago and was not overly impressed, partially because I'm not a huge Gaskell fan, but the miniseries is lovely and fun and I will be making illegal copies of the DVD, if anyone wants. I've also heard great things about the new remake of Jane Eyre and although I'm apprehensive because it is really my favourite novel, I have it on reserve from the library and I will give it a try. And if anyone ele has other suggestions of movies or books that you think I'd enjoy, I'd love to hear them!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recommend that you get yourself addicted to America's Next Top Model ASAP. Cycle 8 has just begun, and Tyra Banks is such a self-righteous ho that that alone makes it well worth watching. Tyra is so self-righteous that this season features not 0, not 1, but TWO plus-sized models. Seriously, wtf Tyra? Modeling is and always has been about anorexic androgenous coked-up 13 yr olds: just because you're old now and loosing your figure, doesn't mean you should try to bring down the whole industry with you. Geez.

Erin said...

Saw the recent BBC adaptation of Jane Eyre (don't know if that's the same one you're talking about), and I enjoyed it. Then again, I was in the throes of exam time and could be distracted by anything, and with a sort of intense obsessive involvement. Rochester is such a lying bastard... live as brother and sister my ass.

Leora said...

I've never watched ANTM but I have heard all the drama about Tyra Banks. Part of me wants to applaud her for taking a stand on the weight issue and promoting plus-sized models, and part me of laughs because it's such a desperate ploy to appeal to normal, every-day women at home to get them to watch her talk show. Oh, Tyra.

Also, I have a feeling that if I started to watch ANTM I'd start to hate my gender. It's just inevitable that the women will turn on each other and become psycho-bitches from hell, right? I'll save it for when I'm in the mood for a cat-fight.

And yes, Erin, that's the one! The library doesn't even have any copies yet, they've just ordered them, but there are already 50 reserves. I'm so excited! And how dare you say anything negative about Mr. Rochester. He's my dream man. Eeeks! So exciting!

Erin said...

You can have Rochester if that leaves Jean-Luc for me ;)

Though just because Rochester is a liar, doesn't mean I don't find him strangely compelling and swoon-worthy. :D