Monday, March 19, 2007

Exchange between me and my professor

This is what happened last week when I came into class and got back a short little book review that I wrote.

Professor: "Leora, do you read over the things you write before you hand them in?"
Leora: "Oh, I'm sorry, did I forget to proofread?"
Professor: "No, not proofread. I mean read. It's good to review your writing to see if it makes sense, if your arguments are strong. And this is...not."
Leora: "Oh. Oops."

Just kidding, I loved it. I'd much rather have my work criticized harshly than to not hear feedback at all. And isn't this the most awesome way of hearing that you wrote something crappy? At least it's funny. I think that was my favourite class this semester. Super-demanding but I also learned the most, particularly because of conversations like these with my prof.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Do you mean you and your professor of Russian? Or your professor from Russia? Because I read that whole exchange with a very Boris & Natasha Russian accent in my head.

"Leora, you must get moose and squirrel before I mark next essay!"

Anonymous said...

AWESOME.

Anonymous said...

Leora, I am delighted to read that you welcome crticism and look forward to providing same.