I was on campus today, eating my lunch outside, when I saw the funniest thing. A man and woman were walking into a building that had two sets of double doors. The man held the first door open for the woman, who preceded him inside. But then she waited until he caught up so that he could open the next door for her.
Usually this type of behaviour would just scream "first date", except for two things. First of all, they were walking into a library, and what kind of guy would bring a date there? (Other than my dream man. Mmmm.) And secondly, the woman stood in front of the second door, waiting for him open it for her, as if she expected him to do it. So I don't think that they're just getting to know each other, and that he's trying to impress her with his mamma-taught manners. I think that they're a real couple, and that he does it for her all the time.
Now I'm not exactly a bra-burning, Gloria Steinem-approved, Barbie-defiling feminist, but that struck me as odd. Chivalry is all well and good, but I think it should be reserved for important things: like opening jars and disposing of the bodies of dead mice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment