Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Brains instead of brawn

For the past 60 years or so, Jews have been trying to pretend that they're tough. But despite the Irgun, Krav Maga, and Israel's Olympic success, the facts remain...we, as a people, are nerds.

Which is why Israel has started to use scholars instead of soldiers to deal with the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. There was a fascinating article in this Sunday's New York Times about how Israel has been developing heritage sites and doing archeological research in East Jerusalem, which some say is an attempt to validate Jewish historical claims on the land. But though their reasons might be political, even critics agree that the academic quality of the research is top notch. I'm not sure whether I agree with this or not, I just find it funny that Israelis are playing to their strengths. They've tried to fight with guns and tanks, but now they're back to intellectual learning.

1 comment:

Hanna said...

Without going full-out commie Pocahontas on your ass, I've always found the idea of an historical right to land deeply confusing. I understand the emotional place it comes from; if somebody kicked my parents out of the house I grew up in, I'd probably spend a good portion of my spare time trying to get it back and ruin their lives besides. But if some dude comes to my door and says his Native American family was forced from the land 150 years ago and by rights it should be his? Uh, no. And go away.

I'm still not sure how to reconcile those two stances. Which is why I have no chance of bringing Middle East peace.

But hooray for Jewish nerdery! I do some banquet catering work on the side for extra money, so lately I think I've crashed every bar mitzvah in the Atlanta metro area. But I get to make challah/Holla! jokes to my heart's content.

Damn, this comment is long. I have to stop surfing at 2 am, it makes me rambly.