Friday, May 08, 2009

The trouble with Trekkies

I am super, super excited for the new Star Trek movie. The guys from Lost are behind it, which feels me with nerdy glee. I'm going with friends on Tuesday. Eeee! It's going to be awesome.

There's an article in today's Globe and Mail where they interview this fan who dresses up as a Klingon who defends his alternative lifestyle in an interesting way:

"When I get the whole 'Get a life' thing, I look at the person and say 'You're right, I'll take yours.'"

Ummm. Listen honey, I understand that you get hurt when people make fun of you. You're not a Vulcan, you have feelings. But if you're trying to show that you're normal, threatening someone's life might not be the best tactic. At least you don't hold them at bat'leth-point to make them apologize.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I'm waiting for the reviews to roll in before I go see the new Trek. Though, with the guy from Heroes playing Spock, and Simon Pegg playing Scotty, it has to be at least enjoyable... right? :S

Leora said...

The reviews are coming in! 96% at Rotten Tomatoes from 185 reviews. Eee!! Although it looks more action than nerdy sci-fi, I'm super-excited. Especially because the chick who plays Uhura is from my favourite guilty pleasure movie Center Stage.

I just wish it had Patrick Stewart, anachroninistic as that might be. Erin, are you psyched??!!