Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Clothes for my (unborn) Bearskin Baby


I'm trying to decide how pathetic I would be if I bought clothes for my not-yet-conceived children. It's bad luck in Judaism to buy things for a baby while you are pregnant, just in case, G-d forbid, there is a miscarriage. But I'm not pregnant, I'm not planning on becoming pregnant for the next 5+ years, nor am I even dating anyone now so there is little chance of me getting knocked up. (Like how I casually slipped that in there? Not that like that's enough though--after all, it didn't stop Mary!)

I've always found it difficult to go into stores like babyGap without reaching for my AmEx. There are the cutest little polo-shirts and tweed jackets for boys, and frilly little pink dresses for girls. Thus far I've managed to resist buying anything, but I don't know if I can anymore. Because right now, there is the most perfect outfits ever for a Bearskin baby: they're brown and fuzzy and have little ears at the top and paws over the feet. Even Gwen Stefani dresses her son Kingston in them. And frankly, I want them too. So what if I'm not going to have kids now? By the time I do, they'll be out of style!

I didn't get them yesterday (the two-piece set was $45. Why are baby clothes so small but so expensive?) though I think that I will go back when there's a sale. Because although I'm planning on changing my name when I get married, I will always be, as will my children, a Bearskin. And we need the clothes to prove it.

(And thanks to Alonatchka for dragging me out of my hibernation yesterday of watching endless DVDs of Star Trek, and for not laughing at me too hard when I was in babyGap. You're no Captain Picard but you're alright.)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't care how cute my kids are, they are getting dressed in slave labour Wal-Mart clothes until I am sure that they have stopped growing for a reasonable amount of time.

Hurray for Star Trek over the hols. I caught the marathon on christmas day and I never realized how bad the editing was on Generations.

I have a massive big favour to ask of you that will also be profitable. Drop me a line and I'll fill you in.

Otherwise, enjoy the extra time you now have to fantasize about Daniel Craig.

Leora said...

Haha, so your kids will have to be teenagers before they can have something that's not from Walmart? Because that's when kids stop growing, their teens. Unless they go onto grad school which basically doubles the size of their egos.

And I never really noticed the bad editing on Generations. Guess I have to watch it again, huh? For "research".

Anonymous said...

Yep, teenagers.

Unless they take after my mother's side of the family. Then they will stop growing between 4'5" and 5".

I would like to see a PhD Thesis about how Star Trek has influences and guided technology.

Leora said...

OMG! I wanted to write my dissertation on Star Trek!! But now I know that if I do, I'd basically be sacrificing my future academic career. So I think that I'll save it for when I have tenure. Then I can write about whatever the hell I want...including how the hotness of Captain Picard affected the public perception of science.

Anonymous said...

Kids these days are so picky when it comes to clothing. I have a younger cousin who often throws a fit over how the socks aren't perfect and the pants aren't right. And the ones who are a bit older (though not yet quite in teens) are still so into the fashion and what not (esp girls), it's a pain in the ass.

I wanna raise my kids in a cave.. away from the harsh world........ and yes with no techy toys and no internet. I'll sneak in some clothes from walmart and may be a TV (with only TreeHouse channel), just so they'd stay off of my nerves.

Leora said...

Sana, my deepest fear is that one of my children will be a fashionista. As most of you know, I don't usually model the latest from the runways of Milan. I'd have no idea what to do if my kids were into fashion...other than see if they really are my kids.

And I think you're onto something with this cave idea. Maybe I should rent one next to you!

Anonymous said...

TG for one of your blog comments "my not yet conceived child". You keep it that way for a whild baby.

Anonymous said...

What you need is a tiny dog or kinkajoo. That would make a way better accessory, Leors. Paris Hilton is g-d.