
Did you guys know that Herbert Spencer, the social Darwinist who coined the term "survival of the fittest", was romantically involved with the novelist George Eliot (AKA Marian Evans)? Or at least he was, until he dumped her for not being attractive enough. And then he started to write articles on ugly women, basically describing Eliot's facial features. How mean is that? Shockingly, Spencer remained single for the rest of his life.
6 comments:
ironic that the father of social darwinism did not leave a genetic legacy..
I am a little slow but is that a picture of Herbert Spencer or George Elliot?
I miss you and I have eggplant waiting for you!!!!!!
When do we get to travel together?
Jordan was AWESOME!
Come to SLC, its just like jordan, with less arabic.
Sammy! I just cooked three eggplant dishes tonight! And they cost like $1.50 per eggplant. You have to start mailing me some from your garden. And I'm SO EXCITED for your upcoming trip to South America!
After a breakup you're allowed to be bitter and write misogynistic articles for 1/2 as long as the relationship lasted (for men only, of course - women have to suck it up and cry on their friends' shoulders).
As long as he was in the proscribed "masogeny umbra" and didn't mention her by name, its valid (i.e. not mean).
;-)
Aah, but Mr. Cheap, your formula doesn't take into account who has ended the relationship. I think that the dumpee has much more reason to feel bitter, and therefore, can be forgiven for saying nasty things. And since Spencer broke up with Eliot, he doesn't have that defense.
Post a Comment