I just bought a book called The World's Most Dangerous Places where the author lists and describes...well...the world's most dangerous places. Some could take it as warning: "Okey dokes, I guess I better avoid that trip to East Timor" but I like to read it as a holiday brochure: "North Korea? Sounds awesome! I hear they have great beaches."Anyway, I went on the author's website and he had a nifty map of the world which was colour-coordinated according to the level of danger of each country. There were four categories, ranging from "A vacation with Grandma" to "Could be your last trip".
Only three countries got the latter classification: Afghanistan, Iraq and the Palestinian Authority. I haven't been to Iraq or Afghanistan (yet!) but I have been to the West Bank and Gaza, so yay me. But it seems a little bullshitty to me. Why is the United States more dangerous than Egypt? I've had pretty scary experiences in Egypt. I wonder how he determines the dangeriness of these countries. And I wonder if dangeriness is a word. If it isn't, it totally should be, because it sounds awesome. Just like this book. I wish there was a book on "Places to get the world's most dangerous diseases" because I'd buy that too.
5 comments:
Are you kidding me? Palestine made most dangerous? More so than the Congo and friends? That guy must have a very strange sense of endangerment..
And Us beating Egypt? Seriously. Egypt was without doubt the country I have felt the most unsafe in.
Come on, we only nearly got bombed in Egypt! Whereas yesterday I almost choked on a french fry from In-'n-Out. Where does one find In-'n-Outs? On the US West Coast, that's where!
Having Palestine be one of the three worst would make us sound pretty badass, but mostly I was only in the West Bank for the parties. Hardly the picture of bravery.
I agree, Egypt was SO skeezy. As Hanna said, we were nearly bombed when we were there. But I think I felt most unsafe in Gaza (for obvious reasons) and Ramallah, because of the lynchings and because of the posters all over of Palestinian martyrs.
And Hanna, you were brave! You're a revolutionary, standing up not for peace, but partying! Christians, Muslims, Jews and others all partying it up in the West Bank -- now that's a cause I could get behind.
Well ladies, if we can't decide, we will clearly have to go to each country on the list and endanger ourselves accordingly and see who takes the bait.
Oh, and Lydia, CLEARLY EASTERN TURKEY , specifically the bus route of the batmanlilar, is the MOST sketch place on earth
Post a Comment