My dad and step-mom are out of town on vacation, so I'm staying at their house, taking care of their dog Isis. She's a wonderful pooch; obedient, affectionate, and most importantly, trained.
Or at least she used to be, until I showed up. In the span of five days, I've turned her into a spoiled, dependent, whiney little bitch. She used to just do her own thing during the day: now she follows me from room to room, and won't eat unless I'm standing right beside her. She used to just accept the odd belly rub: now she jumps up on me and forces me to pet her. It's great that we've bonded, but somehow I've undermined eight years worth of careful training, and now I do what she wants, instead of the other way around. Even the cleaning lady Anne Marie (or as my politically correct step-mother calls her, "the woman who helps us keep our place clean") remarked on it.
I meant well, really I did. I showered her with affection and attention, and like a little parasite, she lapped it up and demanded more. I shudder to think of what I'm going to be like as a dog-owner. I shudder to think of what I'm going to be like as a mother.
I could put my foot down. No, I should put my foot down. But she looks at me with those adorable little brown eyes, and I melt. And the great thing about dog-sitting is that I can spoil to my heart's content, and go back to my own apartment in a week...leaving my dad and step-mom to deal with the problem.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment