I've been vegetarian since I was 7, and I've always been really sensitive about dead animals. I hated when my mom brought me into butcher shops, and seeing roadkill on the street made me freak out. A slab of meat is difficult enough, but when its the whole body, it's even worse.
The first time I ran out of the lab, it was because I had to dissect a lobster. I couldn't understand how someone could go into a restaurant, put on a bib, and tear into it. It has eyes! And a heart! (I would list the other parts of its physiology, but I got a zero on that particular lab). Anyway, I thought that I'd grown tougher. It doesn't bother me when I go out with someone who orders meat. And although I haven't started to cook it yet, I'm sure I will eventually when I have a family.
But I opened up my freezer the other day, and wedged between my edamame beans and mango cubes was this:

It's shrimp. Besides the whole treyf angle is the fact that each time I open up my freezer, they stare at me accusingly. And say things. Bad things.
Like "Your spinach looks like the algae we used to eat...WHEN WE WERE ALIVE!!"
Or "This freezer is almost as cold as the Atlantic Ocean where we used to live...WHEN WE WERE ALIVE!"
I'm tempted to release them back into the wild. But I fear that they're not cryogenically frozen, and actually dead. And that, my friends, makes me sad.
1 comment:
Your wonderful blog post reminds me of the time that we tried to de-sensitize you so that you could do disections. Remember we got a whole fish and dissected it (I did) while you sat far away. Ah, those lovely Mother-daughter moments.
Post a Comment