Sunday, September 07, 2008

So I was reading the Bible yesterday....

No, seriously, I was....no really, stop laughing. This week's Torah portion included a ban on women wearing men's clothes and vice versa. Now I was going to write a snarky little blog post about how unfair it is that guys get to wear comfy things like jeans and we're stuck in corsets and petticoats. But I found something even funnier when I was googling. And also, I just got the cutest little petticoat from Target. It's leopard print.

The esteemed Rabbinical scholar Rashi (you know, the guy who wrote in that crazy, hard to read font) said "Kli gever, a man's item, should not be on a woman: That she should not appear as a man so she can go out among men, for this is only for the purpose of adultery."

Okay, I'll let that sink in for a moment. Women are forbidden from dressing like men because then they'll go out and sleep with other men. In fear of being redundant, if they pose as men, they'll have sex. With men. Is this the Torah's way of telling us sodomy is okay? Sure seems that way! Take that, homophobes! At the very least, I'm feeling nostalgic for one of my favourite clubs, El Covento Rico, where, when you look at the stalls in the women's washroom, some feet are facing forward and some are facing backward. And they have drag shows on Friday and Saturday nights.

In other news, I made my second soup. It is, in a word, fabulous. In two word, it's absolutely fabulous.

2 comments:

firedreams said...

that's awesome. that's exactly why i always enjoyed biblical studies!

Anonymous said...

You might add to your biblical teaching by doing a post on 'men at the mikvah".