Monday, February 09, 2009

Traumatic memories from my childhood

When we were kids, my brother and I used to get into huge fights over the remote control...fights which invariably ended up with me biting him, and him telling on me to our mother. But I wanted to watch Care Bears, and he wanted to watch one of his crap TV shows.

Like this one about a cowboy cop. I forget the name, but it was kind of like a maverick Columbo who would solve crime, without ever getting respect from his crusty old boss. My memory is pretty dim but I think the cop had a porn moustache. And he wore this old brown suede jacket, which may or may not have had fringe. And of course, a cowboy hat. The opening credits had a scene of him chasing after a suspect on horseback. It was a big city, NYC I think, but there he was, galloping down the street like it was the Kentucky derby. Now that's some quality programming.

I thought about it yesterday because I was jaywalking to catch a streetcar, and happened to see a cop on horseback on the opposite side of the street. I looked at him (the cop, not the horse), and he looked at me. Then I got on the streetcar. I half expected to look out the window and see him galloping after me, to give me a ticket for jaywalking. But sadly, he did not. Which just goes to show, you can't believe everything you see on TV. Except for Care Bear Power, because that totally exists.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Memories of my children...I never thought that I would live long enough to see my children enjoy one another and live in peace. Thank G-d that day has arrived and you have not bitten Freddie for quite a few months.

Anonymous said...

I sympathize, having had similar experiences of mercilessly mocking my brother for watching Dragonball Z. Of course, I also mocked him for watching a silly show with muppet characters interacting with humans on a living spaceship, while I wanted to watch high superhero drama. His show was Farscape, and mine? The Adventures of Lois and Clark. I think all sci-fi fans know who won that bout.

What up, Leora? I saw you on my friends list on Facebook and was struck by the urge to hit up your blog.

Leora said...

OMG, Hanna, it's been so long! Don't be a stranger, stranger!