Saturday, September 24, 2005

Goin' a Greyhoundin'

I’ve decided to start sharing my vast amounts of knowledge and wisdom with you, my faithful readers. Now there are only a few things that I do really well, like throwing grapes up in the air and catching them in my mouth, saving money and hoarding seats on the Greyhound. So here is a how-to guide for getting yourself a pair of seats next time you go on the bus.

I feel like I should preface this by saying that it may only work in Canada, where people are so polite that they’d almost rather stand up than disturb you. And although I don’t condone hoarding seats usually (okay, I do because I’m selfish) there are sometimes extenuating circumstances that call for drastic measures. Such as, the bus from Kitchener to Toronto, which I usually take when I can’t bum a ride off a friend, attracts such a group of freaks that I feel like my health in danger just by sitting next to them. There was the time that I sat beside a guy who spent the entire ride “mining for nose gold” and then scrutinizing each find with infinite attention. And then there was the time that I sat next to a guy reading the latest issue of Playboy, who kept on jostling next to me when the bus “swerved”. Ick. But who am I kidding? Even if everyone was completely normal I’d still like to have the row to myself because I’m anti-social and like to have my own space. And if you do too, then read on:

First off, try to be one of the first to get on the bus because then you have your pick of where to sit. Never sit in the front because as the bus fills up, people sit down in the first available seat that they see. Also, don’t sit way at the back because when people walk all the way down the aisle and don’t find anything easily accessible, they rarely turn around and instead will sit beside you, even if it’s obvious that you’d rather be alone. (How rude!) So sit in the middle-back section of the bus and you should be fine.

Also, don’t sit in the window seat because then you’re just asking to have someone come by and sit next to you. The trick is to sit in the aisle and put your bag on the window seat. NEVER look up because if you make eye-contact with someone looking for a seat, then chances are that you’ll be spending the next few hours beside them. I usually put in my earphones and listen to music while the bus is still loading up. That way, even if they do ask me to move over so they can sit, I don’t have to acknowledge them! If the situation is desperate, you may have to pretend that you’re asleep because very few people would wake someone up just to get a seat. Other suggestions include pretending like you’re sick and coughing (particularly effective during the whole SARS crisis) or just grab a Kleenex, hunch over and pretend like you’re crying. Most Canadians get uncomfortable with overt shows of emotion so you’ll probably be left alone. These techniques have almost always worked for me, so give them a shot. Just not on a bus that I’m on, because when I see someone actively hoarding the seat beside them, I sit there anyway just to spite them. It may be rude to sit next to someone who would rather be alone, but it is even ruder to try to get both seats for yourself.

5 comments:

Leora said...

Well on the bright side, I'm getting comments. Unfortunately, they are spam. I'd say that in this case the glass is half full of shit.

Geoff Busbridge said...

I was going to suggest putting word verification on your blog, but I see you've already done it. I'm glad to see that you are commentable (TM) now.

Leora said...

Thanks, Geoff, for the suggestion. I didn't really get the point of the word verification...until I got spammed twice within 5 minutes.

And I was going to write back a snarky reply saying that although I'm finally commentable, you should be commenting on your own blog also, but I see that you've finally updated it! Now I have all this snark and nowhere to put it! It's a hard life. ;)

(And how come you just update about the dojo but not about work? Inquiring minds want some good ol' gossip!)

Anonymous said...

OMG Leors, I am all about the "pretending to be asleep" strategy. It has been good to me over my many years of public transit.

Leora said...

I'm sure you have, Lydiatchka, I'm sure you have! It sucks having people right next to you on the bus. Even worse is when they want to start chatting. Excuse me, but do I look like a social person? Do you think that I give a shit about discussing the weather?

Since in only 3 days you're going to be leaving for Oxford (yay!!!!) you'll have the perfect opportunity to try this out on them English folk. My hypothesis is that they're like super-Canadians (but with bad teeth) and are way to polite to ask you to move. But at least if they do, they'll say it with cute accents. I still can't believe you're leaving, and so soon!!!