Apparently J-Date, the online home for unchosen Chosen people (no, sadly I didn't think that up myself, because, as you all know, I'm just not that witty) is finally allowing classified ads for those seeking same-sex partners.
Now, at first I was wondering why it took them so long. This is 2005, after all! But after further reflection, I think that it might have because they didn't want to alienate their religious customers by having "questionable" moral content. I remember talking to my religious friend Rivky in Jerusalem about the Israel Museum, but she said that she couldn't go. Orthodox Jews boycott it because it's open on Saturday.
Maybe JDate was worried that religious Jews wouldn't want to use their site anymore if they allowed same-sex classifieds? In any case, I'm thrilled. I hope that Nice Jewish Boys and Girls are able to find themselves some Nice Jewish Boys and Girls. Although really, I have never met anyone who has had pleasant experiences from JDate. I've only heard horror, not success, stories. And really, I'm an old-fashioned girl and believe that hook-ups should be made in skeezy bars like Phils, drunk on watered down screwdrivers, or at JSA dinners, drunk on sacramental wine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Good for J-Date for showing an openess to same sex alliances. Would that all political parties had that tolerance. That merger with the Faigele-Flaish website can only benefit all concerned.
I have a theory that the only reason girls got to Hillel events is to scope for men. My memories of UofT Hillel Shabbat dinners lead me to believe that they were pretty much just a giant blind date.
I agree, Anonymous, I wish that one political party in particular was more supportive of same sex relationships. I'm on the mailing list for the UW PC Club and every so often, a debate about gay marriages pops up. Not once have I ever read an argument against homosexuality that didn't end up with using religion to back up their "anti" position.
Give me a freaking break, you can't use something that was written 2000 years ago to make all of the laws of society today. Does this mean that I'd get stoned for calling my mother a bitch all the time?
Haha, Lydia, I like your description of Hillel being just like one big blind date. Although I think that anyone who has gone to more than 2 events has their hopes dashed when they realize that many of the boys want to find themselves blonde shiksa goddesses, and all the girls want to find themselves men who are planning on becoming either a doctor or a lawyer. My people are just a wee bit judgemental.
I've only heard horror stories about any web dating. Also, experienced some myself, of which Leora knows all about.
I had a few friends who were on JDate. I don't think anything came out of it though. But I also know that they were on it while they were still in relationships, which is just wrong for so many reasons.
Also, the thing that bothers me most about them being on it, are how much they lie. I see a friend there say "Doesn't smoke" and I think "Of course you do, I just saw you freaking smoke a minute ago!" Some poor girl is going to go out with them, while they are in a relationship, and find out that they smoke. What a lovely way to start off a relationship... with a lie.
It's interesting that they are allowing same sex searchs. I hope Orthodox don't begin to shun it though.
Very true Lydia...We only go to those dinners to meet our NJGs :)
But at the same time, I've been to some chabad dinners in London where there's a solid 300 jewish undergrads who are just there to be a part of the big jewish scene. I went twice there! It was a lot of fun. Kinda weird seeing my sister at the dinner though.
I wanted to go more often, but I didn't have many friends in the city. No one to take me to one of those famous Jew-do's...
Those are where the real hookups take place.
Haha, good point, David, about how much people lie when they're online dating. That's one of the reasons why I was too scared to ever try it out, especially since a "friend" showed me his LavaLife profile and I thought that he sounded like a great catch...and let's just say he's not. Ugh.
Oh, and I also relate to the weirdness of seeing your sibling at Jew-dos. My older brother Freddy followed me to Waterloo and would go to JSA events. It was a sad reflection on the Jewish gene pool when even he was one of the better men there. Anyone that's ever met Freddy knows what I mean!
I was going to post this earlier, but I wanted to be totally sure first. I know someone with a JDate success story... After many years of searching for a husband, Oren's sister actually met hers through JDate and now they are happily married! :)
Oh that's so sweet!! I know most people use it nowadays for random hook-ups, so it's great to hear success stories. I was talking with my family the other day whether JDate and other online dating services have taken business away from matchmakers.
Post a Comment