My laptop Tova the Toshiba is sick now so I'm spending a lot of time at the university using the campus computers. I'm getting a lot of work done, but I'm bored out of my mind. I miss my privacy--how am I supposed to check out Patrick Stewart porn websites when there are people all around? Anyway, I have a big post coming up (with science!) so stayed tune, but in the meantime, here's this fun update:
This is a horribly stressful time in my life, and I'm not dealing well with the pressure. Everything is going to change in a couple months. I've been waking up in a panic because I haven't heard back from any grad schools. And even if I do get into a great school, that means that my wonderful relationship will end and I may have to move away from my friends and family again. I feel so helpless and out of control. I hate this.
So, now I'm doing the one thing that makes me feel better: plan my money. When I was at my sickest in India, I budgeted. Now that I'm worried about the future of my career and relationships, I'm budgeting again. It basically helps me not feel so helpless, because at least there's one thing that I can control: my money. My friends laugh at me but it's really quite therapeutic. Does anyone else do this? Or do you just use cliche ways of relaxing like yoga, drugs or some combination of the two?
Tuesday, March 14, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
It is still early to be hearing from grad schools, so you shouldn't worry! I am sure you will get in on the basis of your science jokes alone!
When I am dealing with stressful life situations, I like to design fall-back plans - like, say, going to Israel. I don't think this is a good strategy though, because it usually makes me more anxious.
I can empathize with the grad school thing... I'm still waiting on Strathclyde. Mind you, I don't have to deal with uni at the same time.
I bake or cook when I'm stressed. Usually stuff I've never made before. Don't really have the head for finances.
Yeah, I'm doing the whole wake up in the middle of the night thing too. So I'm cooking for my birthday this weekend. Yup, I'm making the birthday cake, I'm making the ice cream, and I'm making all the food for dinner. Should relieve some stress... even just for a little while.
Thanks guy, I was feeling stressed but I'm better now. And I'll be even better once I finally hear back from the schools!
Lyds, I know what you mean, making back-up plans stresses me out even more, so I'm trying not to look for a job next year or plan a trip. If I don't get in now, I think I'll just spend next year on my mom's couch.
And bonnie Erin, that's awesome that you bake and cook when you're stressed--awesome for the people who are around you, that is. I just yell at my loved ones, I don't bake them a cake. But I've been asking around and found out that people do lots of things: my mom cleans, Sophie does statistics and my brother Fred goes shoe-shopping (for strappy sandels).
But why are YOU cooking for your birthday? And how the hell do you make ice-cream? Is it sort of like driving to Baskin Robbins?
Going to baskin and robbins would be like my style of cooking.
Just as my method of doing taxes is driving to H&R Block. Seriously! I don't understand Canadian taxes, I don't want to learn the new tax system.
Plus, They sometimes double people's refunds. And considering mine should be around 1.5k, I like those odds :)
My stress plan is to try and do something to keep my mind occupied. Games are really great at that. You can sit there for hours and get immersed in something else.
And how much does H&R Block charge to do your taxes? They only do promotions like "Double your refund!" to trick silly people into using their services, even though it's so easy to do it without them (especially for you!).
When I spend money for other people to do things for me, I like to spend it on things that is hard for me to do myself. So when I go out to a restaurant, I wouldn't order spagetti, but rather, sushi. I won't pay for a maid, but I will hire a gigolo.
And this, my dear David, is why I am so wealthy. (Cue laugh soundtrack).
Ha ha ha. No Baskin Robins around here. I bought myself an ice cream maker. I made banana ice cream out of frozen bananas, whipping cream, and corn syrup... yummy.
Yeah, I yell at my family when I am stressed too... hence the cake baking *sheepish grin*.
just look at lydia! she didnt get into her choice grad school originally, and not only did her relationship NOT end, but as a result, she met us, and is now going to oxford - AND is still dating her version of david. AND she gets to eat fried faggots every day. you would BE so lucky to get denied grad scohol acceptance.
hakol beseder -
And Leora did get into grad school and Leora lived happily ever after and Leora came home to her family and her relationship did not and still Leora budgeted...cause she was soooo happy
Okay, fine, I still budget...is there anything wrong with that?! It's fun!
Post a Comment