This is actually one of my favourite times of the year, and not just because of Chanukah. I also love, love, love Christmas! Every year, my family has a tradition of going to eat Chinese food and see a movie on Christmas Eve. This year I'm going to miss it. :( But I will be going to Bethleham instead, which is a once in a lifetime opportunity. So I guess I can spend one year without bean curd and eggplant...
We also have family traditions for Chanukah. Every year, my mom and I drive around our neighbourhood, which is very Jewish, and look at the Chanukiot in the windows. Sometimes we'll even make wagers on how many we'll see in a given block. Although it sucks to bet with my mom, because she often wins, and she's not afraid to collect from her poor student of daughter.
And finally, last year I invented a game that I played with my family and my friend Sophie's family. It's called Drinking Dreidle. For those of you who don't know, Jews play with a little spin top on Chanukah that has four sides, and a Hebrew letter on each side. Nun, Gimel, Hei and Shein, for Nes Gadol Haya Sham, or a Big Miracle Happened There. Since "there" is Israel, the dreidles here have a Pai instead, to mean here! Fun, fun, fun. Anyway, the traditional way people play dreidle is sort of similar to poker. You all wager with something, like money or candy, ante up, and spin the dreidle. If a Gimel falls, you get everything in the pot. If a Hei falls, you get half of what's in the pot. If a Nun falls, you don't get anything, and if a Shein falls, you put in something more. But now we play Drinking Dreidle...
If you spin the dreidle and get a Gimel, you take a full shot. (Of wine, vodka, tequila, what have you). If you get a Hei, it's half a shot, and Nun is no shots. And my personal favourite is when you get a Shein, then you can select someone else to take a shot for you! Great idea...but last year everyone ganged up against me and made me drink a lot. Yes, my mother included. I told my wonderful friends here in Israel about it, and they got very excited. So we're going to play it soon.
In case you couldn't tell from this post, I'm feeling a little homesick. Yes, we lit the Chanukiah last night, but it wasn't the same as with my family. And yes, I'll have latkes, but they won't be as good as my mom's. But one thing that does make me happy is that my mom let it slip a few days ago that she sent me a present---so now I'm eagerly checking the mailbox three times a day. I get excited whenever I get mail from home, and this is a present! Yay. I feel like a kid again.
Anyway, to all of you celebrating Chanukah, have a חג שצח!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment