Thursday, December 30, 2004

Torontonians Invading Israel!

I just had the most delightful evening last night. The uber-wonderful Oren, the taller half of my best friend Alona, came into Jerusalem for a 2 week visit. And although there are many things to do in Jerusalem, like praying at the Western Wall, visiting archeology sites that date back 3000 years, getting into long, loud and annoying political discussions on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict...Oren decided to go out drinking with me last night!

I took him to my favourite skeezy bar for happy hour, where we met up with my roommate Jessica and some of her friends, including a British dude, which resulted in us talking in really bad British accents for the rest of the night. Fun! We also talked in Hebrew for a bit, and Oren was kind enough to not laugh at me and all my mistakes (and my dreadful accent). I had to leave early because I had class at 9 am this morning, but it was way too much fun. Oren's the type of guy who is fun to be with, no matter what's going on. Plus, he sings some mean Dirty Dancing songs! He he he.

Also, to my utter joy and delight, my mother AKA Eema AKA Bonnie the Bitch is coming to Jerusalem today!! I'm very excited, and know that we're going to have a blast. My blog updates may be a little sporadic for the next week, but I'll post pictures and updates as soon as I can.

As excited as I am with all these visits, it's also a pretty sad time because all the friends that I've made here are leaving. Hanna's going back to the surf and sand of California in 6 days, Lydia's going back to the snow and ice of Canada in a few weeks... It's sad! One of the reasons why I've had so much fun this semester is because I've met some really wonderful people. And it's sad that we're all splitting up. But I guess such is life. And I guess I can annoy all these wonderful friends with my science jokes by e-mail, instead of in person. Fun!

And finally, I find this too funny not to post. Apparently, one of my professors started bitching about the students in her class (us) to another lady who works in the university. She was saying things like "Oh yeah, that guy is so annoying"! In her office, with the door open! Where students could (and did) hear! Although I find it funny, I also think that it's really unprofessional behaviour. Sure, professors need to vent out some steam. They are human, after all (except for Canadian profs. They're evil drones programmed for the sole purpose of destroying my life). But to talk about specific students on the university, where it could be so easily overheard, is not professional. It is funny, though. Especially because she didn't mention me!

No comments: