Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Leora in London

The first time I came to London, I fell head over heels in love with its ridiculously beautiful buildings, fast pace, winding streets and inexpensive access to culture. The men with accents didn't hurt, either! But the more I traveled, I began to think that maybe London isn't just such a great city, and I just thought it was because I haven't seen so many other places. (I do go to university in Waterloo, after all. They think Cosmopolitan is just the long name for the magazine!) But now that I'm here again, I realize that my original assessment was correct. London is absolutely wonderful. And I'm having such a great time!

People often say that London is so expensive, and while that is definitely true, there are ways to get around it. For instance--when I got here on Monday night, I decided to sleep in the airport, thus saving money on a hostel. (And for those who would like to sleep in airports but are unsure about its safety, here's a word of advice: go to a crowded area, because even though it's slightly louder, there is always safety in numbers. Plus it's more fun! I started talking at 6 am with this Investment Banker called Chris from Texas, and now believe that to really trust someone with your money, you should see how they take care of theirs. I would definitely want someone who was too cheap to pay for a hostel!) I actually slept super well, partially thanks to my wonderful brother Fred's present of a sleeping bag. Thanks, boy!

Also, food is not so expensive if you eat out of grocery stores. Yesterday I bought a bageaute, hummus and an apple for £1. That lasted me for two meals. With all the free museums, plus the fun of just walking around, London is actually the perfect place to visit for a cheap-ass like me. And I'm having so much fun!!

No comments: