Saturday, January 29, 2005

Notes for the weekend

I'm leaving tomorrrow for Dublin, and I'm super excited about it. This will be my first time in Ireland, and I'm looking forward to meeting the people, dancing their jigs, and of course, drinking their whiskey. I'm also happy that I'll be having a place to stay! I'll post more about that later.

Last night, I decided to save money and sleep in the airport. And although I'm glad that I did it, because with the money that I saved, I went to see Les Miserables, it wasn't a great experience. I decided to try out Heathrow Terminal 2 this time, which seemed promising, because it had a carpet and there were other people around sleeping. But at 4 am, people started to move around and leave, thus I was the only one sleeping there. By 5, new people were there, sitting, staring at me, and it was difficult to get back to sleep. So I got up at 5:30, with less than 4 hours sleep. But I got myself a big cup of coffee and reminded myself that the night was worth. It was an experience, and more importantly, it was FREE! I was on the tube to get to the airport yesterday and this guy propositioned me, asking me if I wanted to have sex. He even offered to rent a hotel room. But my mother will be very proud that I resisted the offer of free accomodations. Maybe if he were a Star Trek actor my response would have been different, but as it stood, it was a bit too sketch. Just a bit.

It's good being out of the hostel anyway. I made some friends there, like this super sweet Danish girl (Yay, Scandinavians! Like my Norwegian friend Marianne!) and these really cool German archietect students, but there are some weird folks there also. This one middle-aged man has lived in the hostel for almost 3 years in a dorm room. Sketch. Plus, this punk kid from the US tried borrowing £10 from me, because he had spent it all on pot, and needed to wait for his mommy and daddy to send him more. I hate it when people are over 18 and entirely dependant on their parents for money, and I really hate it when they're not even responsible with their lives! Yikes.

There's something wrong with my computer so I can't upload my pictures, even though I'm super excited about posting the Captain Picard ones! I guess you'll all just have to wait for the next update. Which will hopefully be soon, because I'm trying to take advantage of the easy internet access as often as possible. I don't think that I'll be able to do this when I'm on the trans-Siberian, so I may as well a lot now. Be well, everyone. Or as they say here, cheerio!

No comments: