Wednesday, January 12, 2005

What has been happening in Israel

For the past few days, I've been hesitant to read Ha'aretz, the Israeli newspaper that we get delivered to our dorm apartment. Because in the past week, a number of Israeli soldiers have been killed in the line of duty, in Nablus, near Lebanon, in Gaza, and so on. Each time that happens, on the front page of the paper, near the actual news article, is a little box with a biography of the soldier that was killed. And it mentions how one was killed four days after his 19th birthday, another was almost done with his army service, and so on. It also has a little picture of the soldier, and I can't explain how it feels to look at these handsome, brave men who died at so young an age for their country.

As I walked to campus today, composing my thoughts, the U2 song "Beautiful Day" came on my hand-held radio. And it really is a beautiful day. The sky is blue, the birds are chirping, and the weather is so hot that I can wear only a t-shirt. It is a beautiful day. For some.

No comments: