Thursday, February 17, 2005

Metro fun

Germans are so freakishly well behaved. When the light is green, but there are no cars coming, they usually don't cross and wait for the light to change! Ha! In Israel, people cross even if there ARE cars coming (which may contribute to the fact that more Israelis die in traffic accidents each year than terrorism). The metro is just another example of their Stepford Wives-ness.

For the subway, streetcars and busses, you don't have to show that you have a ticket most of the time. There are little computer kiosks that you can buy a ticket from, and then you have it stamped by another computer thing to validate it, and then you can use it. I was amazed that Germans actually bought the tickets, because it seemed like no one ever checked! And they don't check, a lot of the time. But sometimes they do. Inspectors do random checks and whoever doesn't have a ticket, gets a fine of 60 Euros. It's actually really funny because they dress up so as not to attract attention. Apparently some have dressed up as bums in ratty clothing, and then bam! They wip out their identification and ask to see your ticket! Hehehehe. Now I see that maybe Germans don't buy them all the time because of their strong honour system, but because they don't want to get a massive fine. Although I still do think that Germans are remarkably well behaved. In fact, if I hadn't seen a drug deal today, I would still be convinced that the country is full of goody-goodies.

No comments: