How sweet was this proposal?! Like many young women my age, I read the wedding announcements in the newspaper religiously. It's my crack.* I love the descriptions of how the couple met, their plans for the wedding, and of course, how the groom proposed. It's so romantic!
Ever since I was a little girl, I've known that I don't want a "real" wedding--I'd much prefer to get married in the Scottish highlands or in Jerusalem's Old City than to have this big, uncomfortable party with most of the guests being people who I don't even know. But when it comes to the proposal, I'm pretty conservative. So I love hearing these stories! Anyone got any other good ones?
* Note - I am not engaged, nor am I planning on getting engaged, for the next 10-15 years. I don't want to be no child-bride. But I still love romantic stories!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I agree on the whole wedding thing. No "real" wedding for me, if that day should ever come. Backyard party with food, fire, and booze for me.
As for the proposal. I have to admit that one sounded pretty sweet! My mom actually proposed to my dad... well... it was sort of "Are you going to marry me or not?" So I'd like a real proposal someday.
I'm hoping to be married by a drunk Elvis impersonator in a tacky Vegas chapel. We will have to wait our turn in a lengthy queue with show girls, stoned college students, Texas high rollers and Britney Spears. The Elvis impersonator will also perform bar mitzvahs. I will be dressed up like a character from a popular manga series that I will have never seen before. There will be tacky photograph memorbialia cards that we will have sent to everyone we know.
Two weeks later I will wake up with a bad hangover in a trashed hotel room somewhere on the strip. I will discover that the hotel room is littered with boxes of tacky wedding memorbilia cards featuring a glossy photograph of an event of which I have no recollection.
I remember talking about this with you, Erin, and how cool your idea seemed: unlike most "conventional" weddings, it actually sounded like it would be fun! Big bonfire, lots of shoeless dancing on the grass, and so on. Like a really fun party rather than a stiff, formal affair.
The last wedding that I went to was on a farm and the groom was wearing a polo-shirt and khakis, and there was a cash bar. The wedding before that was at the Four Seasons and it was so posh and the bride's dress alone must have cost twice of the total cost of the farm wedding! But there's no question about which one was more fun.
Lyds, your idea also sounds...interesting. I like the idea of a drunk Elvis impersonator officiating. He might even be an ordained Rabbi if he's able to perform bar mitzvahs!(And maybe a shochet and mohel to boot? A swiss army knife of an Elvis impersonator). That being said, I wouldn't want to just forget about the wedding. If/When I get married, I'd like to have the important people in my life there to celebrate with me: my mom, brother, sister, two best friends and Patrick Stewart. And also, I wouldn't want there to be too much drinking beforehand: if I'm too drunkity-drunk-drunk during the ceremony, I might accidentally marry Patrick Stewart. And that would be a shame..... ;)
On the contrary, if you accidently marry Patrick Stewart, you can live out a life policing space with data and company. OR, you could divorce him and get half his stuff. Either way = AWESOME.
The first scenario sounds great, but I hate Data - most overrated Star Trek character ever. But if I'm married to the captain, then I could always convince him to use the android for scrap metal.
FYI, there is a possibility that I will be in the UK at the end of April...and I've just found out that serendipitously, Patrick Stewart is going to be in some RSC plays at the time. No, I am not stalking him, it's just a coincidence. A wonderful, wonderful coincidence. I hope that he doesn't want a big wedding....
Post a Comment