Sunday, January 15, 2006


I like to cook, but I hate chopping onions--I'm really sensitive to the sulfuric acid and when it gets into my eyes, I cry, cry, cry like a baby. So now, I have a technique: I wear my lab goggles. They work great most of the time! And when I'm chopping lots of onions, then I go one step further and wear those face-masks that I got when I was at Sick Kids during the SARS crisis. Yay science! When I was a little girl and read "A Wrinkle In Time", I was so jealous of Meg's mother, the scientist, who would cook dinner for her family over her lab's bunsen burner. I want to be just like that when I'm a mom.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, those onions look almost radioactive. Aren't you missing a space suit?

And the stack of dishes? My golly! Good that you have another empty sink until it also becomes filled.

Anonymous said...

You look so cute!

Anonymous said...

To echo anonymous:

"You look so cute
When you chop the fruit
The mask covers your eyes
And stops the cries"

I challenge anyone to find a rhyme for "goggles"

Anonymous said...

Finally, a practical application for science!

also: goggle --> toggle, ogle, joggle

Leora said...

Thanks Anonymous, it's always nice to hear kind words, and I'm sure that if I knew who you were, I'd think that you were pretty cute too!

Eema, very impressive poem. Although I don't think that onions are fruit...

Lyds, all I have to say to you is "Boo, hiss!" Don't go dissing my science...