
I tried, I really did, to not seem like such a geek on this blog. But to quote the immortal words of Scotty (z"l), "But captain, she can't take it anymore!". To mine own self I must be true.
So I was talking to David a couple days ago and telling him about this great website IHeartHarper.ca about our brand spanking new Prime Minister, when he joked that I must own the domains IHeartSting.com and IHeartPatrickStewart.com. I laughed it off, and joked that the website was actually MrsPatrickStewart.com David typed it in, and to our surprise, that website actually exists! And it is one of the funniest things that I've seen in a long, long time. It's done by an artist and seriously, it is just amazing how she's incorporated herself into the pictures with My Man. My favourites are numbers 7, 14 and 18. Please check it out, and enjoy. I know that there are quite a few legitimately cool people who read this blog who share my PS lusting, so they'll get a kick out of it. (And if anyone else is planning on being in the UK in April, we should meet up and stalk him. But we should practice our "Oh Captain Picard-y, I wanna have your baby!" chant beforehand).
*Edited to be a shameless copycat. But don't we look cute together?
19 comments:
MrsPatrickStewart is awesome! However, it saddens me that you will face such fierce competition for his heart.
Also you need to tell me when exactly you are going to be stalking him in April, because I am in the UK until July...
Oh and the Harper site thoroughly freaked me out. Oh, those creepy watery eyes.. *shudder*...
No way, man! Sure, she has talent and humour and intelligence and looks...but those things aren't important to Patrick Stewart. You know what is? Pure, unadulterated adoration. That girl is going down!
And regarding my trip, it really depends on which grad schools I get rejected from, and when. If I get rejected by them all before the end of the school-year, then I'll come at the end of April or in May. If I don't hear about the rejections until later on in the term, then I'll be coming later. But hopefully before July, so you can join in on the stalking! (Or at least be in the same country to bail me out of jail....)
Ha ha ha, I love the Mrs. Patrick Stewart page, that is awesome.
The I Heart Harper site is a little stalker-ish. I mean, Mrs. Patrick Stewart is endearing and clever... the Harper one is... well... gushy. And she talks as if she knows the guy personally (does she? I don't know... it doesn't say). If I were him, I'd be looking over my shoulder. Eep!
Stephen Harper has enough people after him that I don't think that one more will make a difference. I wish I knew who wrote the site, though. It looks like it is a gushy teenage girl (while I, in comparison, look mature and sophisticated with my crush). I love the "Stories" section. Oh, and the pictures of him looking uncomfortable around children! It's just so funny.
Erin, if you end up in the UK next year, I'm sure you'd love to go early and join me in my friendly stalking. I think that Patrick Stewart is dating a woman in her 20s now. That means we have a chance! (But seriously, ewww. I love him as much as anyone, quite possibly more, but the man is in his sixties and dating someone 40-odd years younger. I guess he just wants the Best of Both Worlds! Hahahaha, my wit...)
Oh, and I think that this clip from American Dad is just so relevant now, as per our earlier discussion of Patrick Stewart's new "baby" (almost literally).
I love Family Guy but have been noticing that the quality has been deteriorating a lot this season. And now I see why: American Dad! Seth MacFarlane must be giving it a lot of his attention. I didn't even know that Patrick Stewart is a recurring guest until I started to downlo..I mean, watch some episodes. My favourite is "Bullocks to Stan", where Patrick Stewart (*swoon*) plays Stan's boss and starts to sleep with his daughter. An 18 year old girl. Oh, how life immitates art!
Anyway, if you can, try to watch this episode. I won't tell you to download it, because that's just wrong...but I'll mail you a VCD if you want. In the meantime, here's a little teaser: Patrick Stewart!
He he, yeah, I saw that one... that was hilarious... especially when he was wearing that short little bathrobe... ew. ew. ew. And you'll be proud to know that I watched it totally legally on the telivision with legal satellite and everything. ;-) Oh, how I yearn for highspeed though... if only to have the choice to not download the shows I miss. ;-)
Wow, in her 20s eh? Hrm. Gonna have to keep that in mind... ^.^ I agree though... 40 years is a little much. I work with two ladies here who's spouses are 20 years older, and even there you can see the generation gap is pretty wide. But, they do manage and wouldn't give their hubbies up for anything.
No high speed?! Wow, how do you manage? I don't even have a television, just my trusty laptop, Tova the Toshiba. So would you be able to watch these clips then?
hil-frigging-ariousness. Seriously. Prepare to pee your pants.
The Captain Picard song. I wish that I could request it at Phils...
He he he. I can't see them at home (well, I can, it just takes forever to download because we're on DSL lite... only 2x faster than 56k dialup) but I can see them at work because we have real highspeed here.
Those are aweseome!! Wow, Patrick Stewart out-creepeid Ricky Gervais!? That takes talent! Have you seen the Office with Ricky Gervais (not the American Steve Carell one)? It's the best.
And I love the Captain Picard song. Too cool!
*sigh* better get back to work instead of playing on the net. I'm such a slacker!
The Picard Song is fabulous!
This is also quite amusing.
I have seen The Office...and don't adore it. First of all, the accents are really hard to understand. How I wish that everyone is England had that nice, upper-crust, Oxford-like accent! But no, they don't, and I can't understand half the things that they say. It's funny when it's on television, less funny when you're actually in London and asking for directions, and then seem like an idiot when you have to have them repeat it a few times. Not that that's ever happened to me....
Also, I think that there is a misconception that British comedy is more intellectual, higher-class, witty, and so on than American humour. But I find a lot of it to be silly and crude. So the Office is okay, just nothing amazing. Although I do know so many people who love it, so I could be wrong.
Lyds, that video is awesome. They're all awesome. Yay Star Trek!
I don't think British humour is neccessarily more witty or intellectual... I think British entertainment is more earthy though.
American entertainment, in my mind, is very plastic. I mean, Seinfeld, Will & Grace, Darma and Greg, etc. etc. are pretty yuppified. Brits, on the other hand, are far more earthy in their sitcoms (everyone isn't so pretty and popular) and much more gritty in their dramas.
Not to say that there aren't good American progs out there... most of the shows (dramas and comedic dramas in particular) I watch are American. But I think I most look forward to the Brit stuff.
I love the British accent. Though I have a feeling I'll learn to hate it in the UK... I'm so afraid if I go to Scotland I'm going to look like a total dumbass trying to decipher the Scottish accent. That's okay, I can just say "I am from Can-a-da, they say I'm slow, eh?"
See, the thing is, I don't know if "natural" is for everyone. I mean, look at Degrassi. Great Canadian TV show...with the ugliest actors wearing the ugliest outfits ever. I like an escape. If I wanted to see "realistic" people, I'd go outside once in a while (yes, I'm still in my pajamas at 3:30 pm). I watch television and movies to see the Angelina Jolies and Brad Pitts of this world! Not all the time, there's time for gritty, but if it's a sitcom, then yes.
But...that all being said, there is a ton of British entertainment that I just love. Monty Python, of course, is brilliant, Fawlty Towers, the best Shakespearean actors are British, and I love romantic Colin Firth movies. (Plus, a certain Star Trek captain is English...)
Some great things have come out of the UK, but I think that there is a perception now, at least in Canada and the States, that British culture is more upper-class. I've said this many times before, but I think that England has a type of schizophrenic personality. On the one hand, people there are so concerned about seeming "proper", "polite" and "distinguished" (and the worst thing that could happen is a drive-by-argument). But on the other hand, people can be far more crude and explicit. It's weird. And that's just my experiences over there, I could be wrong.
Oh, and finally Erin, the Scottish accent can be just impossible to understand...but so lovely to hear. I love how they roll their "r"s. Plus, the Scots are amazing, so all together, it is probably one of my favourite places in the world. I'm jealous!! (Love the Simpsons quote, btw)
Yes, Degrassi = Ugly all the way 'round... but Degrassi was in the 80's... I think everyone was ugly in the 80's. The only thing good that came out of the 80's was their music!
;-)
Okay, I've expanded my thoughts: there's something sort of immature about the English, but I couldn't quite idenitify it before. And now I think I know: They seem a lot more childish in their reaction to sexuality. That's why they always talk about "titties" in a way that little kids do, because it's naughty. In North America, we seem to be more comfortable so although we can still talk about it, it's done differently--not because we're being purposefully rebellious, but because we want to. Same thing with swear words. It's not such a taboo anymore over here, but I think that it is over there. At least, that's my theory, for what it's worth. I could just be looking at their equivalents of Paris Hilton and Jerry Springer and judging, but still...
Oh, and yes, everyone was ugly in the 80s. Except for me. I was always cute. And yay to retro music!! I feel like going to Phils on Sunday now.
This is my theory on the huge divide between high class stuffiness and crude lower attitudes in Britain:
Basically, I think it's a case of taboo and rebellion. In a place where there is such a rigoursly established idea of what is "proper", it is much more exciting to be "bad". Because there is something very real to rebel against, people do it as hardily and as with as much vulgarity as possible.
Also, there is the factor of things appearing more vulgar than they actually are. Some of the language that gets bandied about here sounds quite raw to my tender Canadian ears, but it gets used with such abandon that it has lost all shock-value for the locals.
Damn it, you've said what I feel, but in a way that actually makes sense!! Grrrr...I guess that explains why you're a fancy-shmancy graduate student at a fancy-shmancy university, while I'm still stuck in the 'loo.
Anyway, that's an interesting point about how the language has become more commonplace there and lost its shock value. Never thought about it that way but it makes sense (invalidates my other point, but whatev). I guess their vulgar language is "set to stun", eh?
I just think that North America has a really distorted perception of the UK. Perhaps because people are forming their opinions by watching British movies and television shows. And unfortunately, as I know from personal experience, film is not always an accurate representation of the actual society. To bring up an example: Bollywood and real life India. Real life in the UK is not out of a Jane Austen novel. (Though how I wish it were more like Charlotte Bronte, and then I'd find myself Mr. Rochester).
Am I as good as Mr. Rochester? :)
I keep seeing all of the Star Trek references and thinking "That's so Leora" and then laughing of course. :) I actually thought the best of Both Worlds one was hilarious... made me actual lol here. And Yes, I'm pronouncing that "lol" instead of "el Oo el".
I have to admit, I can't understand much of the british accent. I've listened to more then my fair share of Cory st. and I still have no idea what they have said. When I ask my parents, they just shrug. And they've been watching every episode for 20+ years. I think they only missed the episodes when my sister and I were born (and they've resented us since)
I understood almost all of what they were saying in Bridget Jone's Diary. Leora brought it over one day and I didn't have any trouble understanding it. So maybe the movie style representations are nothing like the actual life there. I've never been to England. Always wanted to though.
Patrick Stewart is more of an ideal Brit. You can understand his accent. I don't really understand what Leora sees in him, but hey, I guess that's cause I'm a guy. I mean, I thought of the old wrinkly men in hollywood, Sean Connery is the one girls would go nuts over. I mean, when he was James Bond, all the guys wanted to be him. I watched a Bond movie for about 5 minutes last night. He was stuck in some torture machine, got up and seduced the nurse attending him. What wit and charm! Plus he shagged at least 2 girls each movie. What a man-slayer!
I don't know where I was going with that.
Anyhow, British culture does rock. I would love to visit it someday. Is London a large city? I bet it's bigger then Seattle.
That is awsome. I'm not attracted to him, being a man, but I think he's a really cool guy. Come on, Picard and Professor X?
I know eh, Geoff, isn't Patrick Stewart awesomeness personified? I actually believe that he really is Picard and Xavier, not some actor. ;-)
Post a Comment