
I just bought some gorgeous War Bond prints from eBay, and for the last little while, I've been eBaying like crazy. Anyways, I naturally started to search for coffins. Although they had a great selection, they didn't have the Kiss Kasket, so I'm going to need to hold off on the purchase. Too bad.
I think that I'm going to have to plan my funeral myself because I don't trust my loved ones enough to be frugal. (But they would just be devastated by such profound grief so we can't hold it against them). I can't understand why people buy expensive coffins, plant flowers on the graves, have limos take the mourners around, etc. The deceased are DEAD! They won't be able to appreciate it. And I know for myself, I'd rather have my loved ones take those several thousand dollars that they'd save by burying me frugally and do something that I'd appreciate. Such as, I'd like my mom to take a long trip around the world, ending in Romania. I'd like my sister to use it as a grant to continue her wonderful creative endeavors. I'd like my brother to...wait, my brother is going to be stinking rich on his own, I'll give his share to PETA.
Anyway, that's my (somewhat) morbid post of the day. But it's important to think about these things! It's good to plan ahead. And if nothing else, you learned about the awesomeness of the Kiss Kasket (it doubles as a fridge so you can keep your beers in it while you're alive!)
14 comments:
You could probably get yourself cremated on the banks of the Ganges for, like, $20. Of course, you wouldn't be able to be resurrected when Messiach comes, but possibly he would make an exception due to your outstanding act of frugally.
Or hey, if you were feeling really cheap you could probably get yourself wrapped in aluminum foil and tossed in the Ganges for, say, $1.50.
You offer some great suggestions Lyds, but I don't know how cost effective they are. You also have to take into account the airfare costs: of my body, of course, as well as of my loved ones who wish to take part in Sati. Fred would probably rather stay in an ashram with Lisa Ray. But really, who wouldn't? (I'd rather be with Shahrukh Khan though).
But you did bring up an interesting idea. I wasn't considering cremation since it's so halachically unacceptable, but maybe the G man would make an exception in my case. It's definitely cheaper than burial, and has less of the "ick" factor of donating my body to science. I'll consider it!
Oh, I wonder if I can get a discount off the Ganges thing if I provide my own aluminum foil. There's a sale on it now at Costco. Also, did you ask for a quote when you were in Varanasi? You seem to know an awful lot about how much these things cost!
The orthodox get really cheap coffins. You should look into becoming Orthodox. :)
Great idea, I'll talk to my main man, Rabbi J., about that. Oh, and all kidding aside, I've always told my family that I want a Hebrew Basic Burial. Not any of this Steeles or Benjamins stuff. Otherwise I'll haunt them.
My honest belief is that age should play a part in how we mourn death. I think that if someone dies young or while they have a lot going on in their life, then sure, we should mourn their lifes. But there comes to be a point where I don't want people to be upset.
If I'm getting on in my years and although there are grand children and such. If I die at that stage, I don't want people to sit around and be sad. I had a good life. I want people to bring photo albums (or holographic videos of me) and celebrate my life. Celebrate all the good things that happened.
Sure, if I die tragically, then have a sad funeral. but If I'm calm and in my bed, and surrounded by people I care about. Then I don't want people to be sad.
Death is so inevitable, It's like we're shocked when it happens. I mean, it's like it's morbid to say "I'm going to die". Of course I'm going to die. It would be weird not to die!
Funeral? Either you're very young to be thinking about a funeral or you dyed your hair a certain colour and put on a face mask. Honestly, it sounds scary.
What a thought-provoking reply to my snarky post! Since I can't be out-profounded on my own blog, I have to respond in kind.
This is an issue that I've thought a lot about lately, because I have friends who have recently lost their parents. So although I don't think about my own mortality (which is why I can do things like go to Gaza because I don't feel like my life will end soon), I do think about it when it comes to my family.
My mother is getting older and although she's still pretty young (and far too sharp for my own good!) whenever I see signs of her age I get scared. She's not even 60 yet but when I see any grey hairs, or moderate arthritis in her hands, or even just her fear of slipping on the ice, I realize that she is getting older. My mom is the most important person in my life, the one who has always been there for me, who loves me unconditionally and who I always turn to when I need help. In some respects, she's larger than life. I still think that there isn't a problem that she can't solve, and nothing that she can't do. She's a remarkably capable woman.
So when I see her getting more frail, I get upset. Three of my grandparents lived well into their 90s and all eventually from some type of dementia. It was awful seeing these proud and independent people reduced to shells of their former selves. I didn't want that for my mom.
But I have friends my age who have lost their parents and I think that that is just awful. I can't imagine living without my mom now. And when I have kids, I can't imagine not giving them the opportunity to love her. So I don't know whether there is a good time to pass away. Both options are bad. If it's too late, then all your family remembers is of you in your sick state. But if it's too soon, then they are robbed of the opportunity to spend more time with you.
This may seem silly to talk about this now, because if genetics are any indication, my mom has more than 30 years left in her life (im yirtza hashem). But it is something that I'm afraid of. I can continue doing reckless and stupid things that put my life in danger. But my mom? She has to be okay.
Oh, and to bring some levity back to this post, thanks Anonymous for your concern. But I really am not thinking too seriously about dying. Life is too much fun! Plus I'm not sure if there's Star Trek in the afterlife.
And I'm really not a Kiss fan, although I admire their entreprenurial skillz. Those guys market everything. And I just watched a couple Family Guy episodes with them. But I'm more of a Ramones kind of girl.
Kiss Saves Christmas: "Santa was kidnapped? That does NOT rock!" Awesomeness.
I don't plan on dying anytime soon either. However, I do realize what when I die, Q will give me a second chance to live my life without my greatest regret.
Fortunately, my only current regret is I haven't seen the awesomeness that must be:
Kiss meets the Phantom of the Park
"Everyone knows pteradactyls are afaid of the sound from a guitar"
Q?
Maybe. Unless you're in the Delta Quadrant, in which case your life energy will probably be captured in the matrix of strange aliens posing as your father, who will then feed on your soul for all eternity.
Guys, my blog is not an appropriate forum for theological discussions about Star Trek. Especially because so few people actually stay dead in the show. (A whole lot of resurection going on there.) I'm still upset that Spock turned out to be alive--and I pray that they don't bring Data back in the next movie.
Don't you worry. I'm sure Data's stupider "brother" will suddenly act exactly like Data.
We're blessed by the fact that Brent Spiner has no acting talent.
Ok, that's not true. But he portrays Data well sometimes and really horribly other times.
Brent Spiner is awful! Just one of the reasons why I hate Data. When he's just playing ordinary, non-emotive Data, he's acceptable. But as soon as he starts to act, like in A Fistful of Datas or the first movie? Gag me with a pitchfork! Even more painful considering who he's acting beside...His deficiencies become even more apparent.
But really, I just hate the character. Now I'm getting all upset...I think I need to take a Valium.
Post a Comment