Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Ahmedabad is not so bad!

Hello my little cherubs,

Here I am, "chilling" in Ahemedabad, the capital of the Gujarat area of India. Although the city is north of Mumbai, it is not any cooler. In fact, it is pretty darn hot. I found out that yesterday was 36 degrees Celsius. Ouch. In the future, I'm just going to try to not find out the temperature because knowing that it is actually hot impairs my ability to delude myself. In any case, I'll be going to Nepal soon, where it is definitely cooler. Maybe not sweater weather, but at least I won't be so hot that I wish that my skin were as removable as clothing.

I've actually enjoyed Ahmedabad. The slums are not as bad here as they are in Mumbai, and this is one of the scientific and technological centres of the country. This is the India that I was expecting before I came! Although there is still enough skeeze to remind me that I'm not in a first world country. I still haven't really talked with anyone yet in India for more than 5 minutes, so I'm maintaining my vow of silence. I could be a nun, if it weren't for that whole Jewish thing. And taking that vow of poverty is against my principles. But other than that...

I am leaving tonight on the train to Udaipur in the Rajastan province. I've heard that it's a tourist trap, but from the pictures that I've seen, it looks absolutely beautiful and would like to spend a few days there anyway. And then, off to Delhi! The updates might be a little sporadic, but whatev, you're all used to that already.

No comments: