I don't know how or when it happened, but suddenly, unexpectedly, I came to love India. As you can probably tell from reading my blog (on the off chance that anyone actually does read it!) I had very mixed feelings about it for the first few weeks that I was here. It is so different from what I was used to. It's dirty and loud and poverty-stricken and insane and skeezy. I could not understand why so many people loved it. The only explanation that I could think of was that it showed them how much they should be grateful that they live in another country! (I am absolutely serious. I thought that Alanis Morisette must have written her song "Thank You, India" because it made her appreciate Canada so much more.) But somehow, over the past few weeks, I've caught glimpses of what makes this country so great. Unlike many people who I know who have also come to India, I haven't "found myself" or become involved in any of the Eastern religions. Judaism is enough of a religion for me to neglect, I don't really need to pick up any more. But I am becoming so intrigued about Indian culture. Being in Delhi helps with that.
Delhi is an absolutely delightful city. I had started my trip off in Mumbai and got such a bad first impression of India from it. Despite what my guidebook says, Mumbai is not a charming city and it isn't easy to love. I hated it. But I adore Delhi. This sort of fits in with my other experiences with major cities. I always prefer the one with the history as compared to the fun, popular city. Edinburgh over Glasgow, Jerusalem (sigh) over Tel Aviv, and now Delhi over Mumbai. It's busy but not chaotic. It's crammed full of historical importance. And it's my favourite city thus far in India.
Now it does still have sufficient skeeze to remind me that this is India, not Canada. It is still socially acceptable to spit on the street, and there are still cows meandering along the busy roads. Plus, when I got shown a hotel room when I first came, there was a lizard on my pillow. The bell-hop seemed surprised that I wanted a different room. Now, I love all living things, no matter how lowly evolved (how else can you explain my affection to my brother Fred?), but I prefer to not to put myself at risk of them crawling over me when I'm sleeping. The room was cheap, though, so who am I to complain?
And in so many other respects, Delhi is such a wonderful city that I'm glad that I came. I was at the planetarium the other day (yes, I am that cool) waiting for a show to start when a big group of cute little Indian school-kids saw me and rushed over. I was surronded by a mob, saying "hello" and wanting to shake my hand. It was adorable. They didn't speak English and I don't speak Hindi but they were just so excited to meet a Westerner that they wanted to come over. How cute, eh? I am so much enjoying my time here. They have fantastic museums. The only thing that I regret about my time here is that I can't go to the Toilet Museum. It is way too far away for me to get to, which is a shame, because I think that it would be a gas! Oh man, my wit...
Friday, March 25, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment