Okay, you know-it-alls who have been sending me lecturing e-mails saying that Bombay is now called Mumbai. I know that, of course, but I figured that most of the people reading this blog (yes, all three of you!) wouldn't be as up with the proper nomenclature. So I decided to call it Bombay instead. So sue me. Actually, funny note about the whole "tom-aye-to / tom-ahh-to" thing. When I was in London this last time, I stayed with the most wonderful Servas hosts who seem to actually like my science jokes, and even knew a few of their own! Anyway, they were talking about something to do with different pronounciations, and they agreed to disagree by saying: "tom-aye-to / tom-ahh-to". And then, the gentleman looked over at me and said "hey, you actually call it "tom-aye-to", right?" I knew the song, of course, but I'd never heard anyone crazy enough to pronounce it "tom-ahh-to"...until them. And one more thing, because I know that this topic is just too interesting for all of you. I noticed that in the UK, they pronounce evolution weird. Instead of the normal North American pronounciation of "ev-o-lution", they pronounce it "evil-ution", which explains why a lot of people over there thought that it was evil! Hehehe. Crazy Brits.
Also, I finally got to post some pictures, which will be a relief to my brother, who seems to believe that I'm lying about the whole India thing and am actually still stuck in Estonia. Bombay (or Mumbai. Happy now?!) is so primitive in regards to computers. The internet cafes have agonizingly slow connections and the new computers have Windows 98. But it is cheap, so no cause for complaint. But since it is so slow, I can't rearrange my photos in proper order, so I clumped some of my pictures of Estonia, London and India all together. Oh well. Beggars can't be choosers. Now if you'll excuse me, it's time for dinner, and I'm going to go have a "po-taye-to" samosa!
Thursday, March 10, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment