I'm taking a break from studying and baking my professors cookies (only the ones who are writing me reference letters for grad school, not for the other chumps) because I wanted to let all my faithful readers know what's happening in my home country.
There's going to an election in Canada soon. Frankly, I've gotten really apathetic (no, Fred, not pathetic) about politics in my old age. I just don't think that many Canadian politicians can bring about substantial change, and with the ones that can (like freaky-deaky social conservatives), you pray that they can't. So I'll be voting in the election, of course, and I'll probably vote for the Conservative party if only to bring the Liberals down a notch from their comfortable position.
But if you guys want to hear from someone who is actually knowledgeable and gives a rat's ass, check out my wonderful former roommate Lydia's blog. She even mentions me. I'm famous! And props to Fred for sending me the link to the Bloc song that you'll find her referring to.
Tuesday, November 29, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
Capitalists of the world unite - you have nothing to lose but your chains!
It is ok to be apathetic about politics, but not about theft; that's why it's refreshing that the Conservatives, Bloc and NDP have the guts to pull the plug on one of our most pathetic governments, led by one of the sleaziest politicians, in Canadian history. Props to the grinning car salesman, the pea-soup guy, and (of course) to Stephen Harper!
Wow, cookies! They had better be writing super-good letters! The most I ever gave my references was a thank-you email...
Elections give me anxiety. I have to work on polishing up my apathy...
I think I'd still vote Liberal only because I don't think they've done anything drastically wrong.
Sure, there's the whole scandal, and there's probably some corruption, but I think any side has that, this is just being aired out a lot more.
That being said, I think it's a bad idea to change our government. We have quite a lot going for us right now. A booming economy, no serious problems, where's the harm in keeping along the same lines.
So I just (as I was writing this) found out a friend's mother reports directly to Martin (but as a civil servant, not part of his party or anything). Must be a really interesting time to be involved in politics. :)
Wow, I post an adorable picture of little Leora, and no one responds, but I post one thing about Canadian politics and now all you ungrateful assholes have something to say.
Fred - You are just so inspiring. But how come you have affectionate nicknames for Jack Layton, Gilles Duceppe but not for Stephen Harper?
Lydia - Need to polish up your political apathy? Head back to the Middle East. There you'll see how screwed up all the governments are, how screwed up all the citizens are, and the only solution for peace is going to come when they all kill each other off. But does that trouble me? Loh kol kach. Pass the vodka.
And yes, I did bake my professors cookies, because I am a wonderful, wonderful person. And because I'll probably be hitting them up for reference letters again after I don't get into grad school this time around. I'm also buying 2 of them bottles of cognac afterwards as a thank you (and potential bribe).
David - That's it, our relationship is over. Not because you're going to be voting for the Liberals, but because you think that it's a "bad idea to change our government". Screw that, change is good, we need innovation because the world is changing, and we need to keep up with the pace. (Or we should start learning Chinese and Hindi right now). I don't adore the Conservatives but I also don't like the Liberals, and think that it is time to shake things up a little.
Change is bad when it is bad change. Plus, it is extremely costly and time-consuming to cutoff and reverse all of the legislation that is currently in progress.
(I cannot stop talking about politics no matter how hard I try. It is my curse!)
I'll either vote Green or... well I guess not at all... which is probably the same as voting Green without the guilts.
I'd vote CP if McKay was leader... but not with Harper at the wheel. I would've voted CP a long time ago if Charest was still there... but he went to save Canada by joining the Quebec Liberals (which aren't really "liberal" more "federalist").
Anyway, all that to say they are all scum. :p
You'll like this though: (http://www.thehammer.ca/content/
view.php?news=2005-11-29-martin-
harper-election-punchup)
Oh come on, Lyds, let loose! Talk about politics, and rest assured that your precious Liberal party will be re-elected. Because until the Conservative leader isn't a total ass-wipe, the Liberals are going to be in power, no matter how corrupt they are.
And you don't think that change is good? I think that the folks in Germany would disagree with you--look how different their country is right now from 60 years ago. They don't have that pesky "vermin" problem anymore.
Oh, and stolen from the wonderful and beautiful Erin: check out the Daily Show's website because they have a little video about Canadian politics. Jon Stewart is a sexy beast.
Leora, you didn't tell me that you were going out with a Liberal..tsk, tsk. Glad that you don't use your last name in the blog. It would reflect on your family.
My Kine proffs frown upon cookies... how pathetic is that? Give me other suggestions...
Erin - Wow, I actually commented before I got the e-mail that you wrote something. Fucking computer. I agree with you about MacKay--plus he is HOT! (Although I'm not a billionaress, so I probably don't have a shot).
Alona - Your Kine profs frown upon cookies? How about a "thank-you" gift of Powerbars and Carrot-juice? I don't think you can ever go wrong with booze (unless you're in Iran) so after they write the letters, I'm giving them a thank-you bottle of cognac. Not before, though, because I don't want to seem like I'm sucking up, and I don't want them to be drunk when they're writing my letters!!
Eema - I am sorry that you are dissapointed in my choice of a boyfriend. But he's nice, smart (except for this temporary lapse into absurd trusting of our dishonourable government), Jewish and tall. Isn't that enough?! Is this blog going to turn into some version of Romeo and Juliet now, with warring parents? Or maybe West Side Story. I should brush up on my dancing.
My tardy response on change:
No, I don't think that change is bad. "Change" has no inherent qualitative measure as a simple alteration. Its quality is a function of content. So sometimes change is good and sometimes change is bad. For example, most of us would say that 1920s Germany was in for some bad change.
Right now in Canada, however, the status quo is perfectly okay and so change could very easily be a bad thing. Especially if that change is dear Mr. Harper reversing our new-found civil liberties (a positive change) in the interest of repressive religious moralism.
Lydia, "how are you?". Now that the social niceties are out of the way, Mr. Harper is not "trying to reverse our new-found civil liberties", he is trying to bring democracy and freedom back into government.
Leora, nice blog. Please go wash your mouth out with soap for calling the Leader of the Opposition an ass-wipe.
Eema, I only have about 3.86 friends, so please don't be all rabidly Conservative and scare even them away! Besides, you've played Drunken Dreidle with Lydia--therefore, what's a little disagreement about politics between fellow drunkies?
I think change is good when it's required. When things are obviously heading in the wrong direction.
But things are not in the wrong direction. We're a wealthy country, we're happy, and we don't have any major problems.
Yes, they are corrupt and they should throw out Martin and most of his cabinet, but their core policies are still valid. We don't need an overhaul, we need tiny little course corrections now and again.
I think a lot of Canadians are put off by Harper's statement that we "won't recognize Canada anymore" or whatever he said. I like Canada the way it is.(Although I seem to be fleeing it every 4 months!)
Hopefully we don't turn into Romeo and Juliet. I would have no idea how to find a real apothecary. Though the thought of dueling with swords does sound really cool.
Though, the dancing? Loh kol kah...
Post a Comment