Friday, October 14, 2005

Bill Gates - Our equivalent of the Pope

Yesterday, William H. Gates came to speak at UW, his only Canadian stop in a 6 university wide tour. Yes, some schools attract rock stars, and we get Billy. Not that I'm complaining--I think it's pretty damn cool that the richest man in the world ($58 billion, give or take several million, but you can check his net worth minute by minute at this site) came up to my neck of the woods. Although I am a bit miffed that he didn't go up to the top floor of the Dana Porter library and start throwing wads of $100 bills down for us common folk to collect.

He was speaking in the 700 seat Humanties Theatre to a packed house and tickets were gone faster than it takes a 5000 Kbps modem to bring up a webpage (a little tech humor there. Funny, eh?). Actually, there were only tickets available for some students of certain departments, like Comp Eng, Software Engineering, CS, etc. Sadly, not for Biology students. David not only got a ticket, but was supposed to be sitting in the VIP section because he was (and will be in another 2.5 months) an intern at Microsoft. But he couldn't make it, and didn't even take me up on the suggestion of scalping it before the talk started (what kind of Jew are you?!) But from what I've heard, it seemed like Billy's talk was just same old, same old. You can read a minute by minute report at another UW student's snarky blog. I have no idea who the anonymous SLC is, but he sure is funny. I particularly liked the part when he started dissing Billy's wardrobe. Hehehe. I'll post more later. Tata, peeps!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like a celebrity being mentioned on your blog :) Should I formally introduce myself to the wonderful audience?

Yes, I turned down such a great opportunity. And by the way, they had 25 tickets for Sci students. Silly Leora didn't even try to see ol' Bill. You didn't even try for the free ticket... And I'm the bad Jew? :)

Leora said...

Of course you're a celebrity now, David! Everyone who gets a shout-out on my blog becomes famous. Just look at what I did for Nathalie Portman's career.

And wow, I never knew that they had tickets for science students! I wouldn't have been able to go anyway, but I could have scalped the ticket. Let's have a moment of silence for the money that I could have made. Tear.

Did you check out SLC's transcript because he quoted Billy as saying that there is going to be a shortage of great software engineers and that Microsoft is scouring the globe looking for those people. Can you feel the love, David, can you?! David and Billy sitting in a tree.... Hehehe. :o)

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm so famous :) The world will now know all about my journeys. :)

Tears from Leora! Ohh no...
*Tear*

I think you've caught onto Bill and I's torrid love affair. Don't tell him, but I'm after the money. Yes, I know. It will hurt him in the end, but it's so very much money.

His speech which I *read* was pretty interesting. It was what anyone would expect him to say, but he's got one major point and I think he got it across. That the best uses of technology have yet to be found. And they have a lot of people working on some of the cool things, but there's so much still out there for people to discover. I mean, 15 years ago, if you said people would shop online as a daily activity, you'd be called crazy.
That's the only reason I wanted to hear him speak. I knew he would talk about that, but he's got a certain way of speaking which really makes you feel it.

Makes me feel all kinds of tingly... Maybe that's just the nerd in me. :)

Anonymous said...

So who is this David? Bill Gates I know.

Mamma Bear