Saturday, October 15, 2005


Yom Kippur has come and gone but I still wanted to post this picture to show what the Day of Atonement is like the Holy Land. My Norwegian friend Marianne took this photograph last year of King George, which is usually one of the busiest streets in Jerusalem, but is absolutely deserted on the holiest days of the year. No one was out. People were either in synagogue praying or inside their houses watching Star Trek dubbed in Hebrew.

If you're interested in Yom Kippur and why we willingly don't eat for 25 hours, then go here to learn more about the fantastic fastin' festival. And before I forget, did anyone else read in the National Post how Billy Crystal, in Toronto for his incredibly overpriced live show, spent Rosh Hashana praying at Beth Tzedec? Pretty coolio, if you ask me.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, watching Star Trek dubbed in Hebrew is indeed a time-honoured Yom Kipur tradition. I myself like to watch the same episode at least three times to add a more liturgical stucture to my viewing experience.

Leora said...

I actually prefer watching it dubbed in Sanskrit. There's nothing like watching a show that is supposed to take place 400 years in the future and hearing them speak in an ancient language.

Anonymous said...

What about watching it in Klingon?
Bonus points if you actually understand it.
Bonus bonus points if anytime a Klingon speaks, it's dubbed in English.
:)

Anonymous said...

Oh wow Leora, have I got some nerd-news for you: Walter Koenig(a.k.a. Chekov) has agreed to appear in an internet fan film that continues the voyages of the starship Enterprise. He will star in an episode of Star Trek New Voyages called "To Serve All My Days". Apparently, Koenig has long harboured resentment about how the Chekov character was never, well, a big deal on TOS. CBC has an article about it all here

Anonymous said...

OMG, also I think everyone should watch this trailer for a good laugh. It is "STar Wreck", some strange Finnish fan-film combining Star Trek and Babylon 5. It is hilarious. HILARIOUS.

Leora said...

Wow. Just...wow.

That is probably the nerdiest thing I've ever seen in my entire life.

Now I'm willing to admit a slight natural predisposition towards dorkiness on my part, especially in regards to Star Trek. But there are people out there who make their own fucking Star Trek movies?! They dress up as Kirk, Spock, Romulans, Klingons, etc., and pretend like they're on "adventures" on the USS fucking Enterprise? That's just too much, man. From the trailer that I downloaded, it looks like it costs a shitload of money and time, also. Why would people do it?! Fanfilms: the creepiest frontier.

Not much else I can say but...wow.

And in regards to Koenig starring in one of the upcoming films, I of course, applaud any effort to make money or get fame. But this is just too weird, even for me.

Thanks for posting it, Lyds. It may have been disturbing, but I also found it quite interesting. And may I please reiterate: wow.

Leora said...

I forgot to add that I did really like the trailer for Star Wreck. Silly Scandanavians!

And now for a Leora epiphany:

I've realized that I have to stop posting about Star Trek on my blog. People who know me in real life know that although I like the show a fair bit, I'm not even nearly as obsessed with it as I seem online. I repeat myself a lot, partially because I think it's funny (fucking Commies!) and partially because I'm too lazy to think about other things to write about. But really, Star Trek has taken up way too much space and it took an article about fan-films to realize that Trek-gushing is not charming, just disturbing.

So let me just conclude by saying that although Star Trek will always occupy a place in my heart, and occasionally on my blog, I know when enough is enough. And no, I will not be going to London to study acting (http://www.imdb.com/news/wenn/2005-09-30).

Besides, my mother has been complaining that my blog is too fluffy and that I should start posting about more serious topics. So who's up for a fun little discussion about James Joyce?

Anonymous said...

I like the light heartedness of the blog. It's fluffy but we all need a place to express the fluffy-ness of life.

If you want to change it, you can go two ways (or at least the two ways I've seen).
You can:
A) Write about things that happen during the day. It's good if you wanna keep people in the loop. But only write about the exciting life of Leora. :)
B) Post big rants on topics that only some are interested in. Here you can be more political, post about profs with nipple piercings, or talk about the virtues of dating a Software Engineer. These types of rants are fun but you have to be careful not to become into one of those blogs that just whine about the world.

I personally think your blog should stay as it is. :) No, I'm not just saying this as some sort of flattering compliment. I really do think so.
The reason is that it's fun to read. Each post is something new and original. Each post can bring a few smiles and laughs

Leora said...

Yay to fluffy! There are a lot of blogs out there that, like you said, suck ass (okay, I'm paraphrasing a bit). So many try to write about these grand, profound concepts and I just read them and think "huh"? Or ocassionally, a more loquacious response of "mewah?" Perhaps I've gotten cynical in my old age but now I prefer reading it when people keep it funny and entertaining. There is something to be said for levity.

Besides, the alternatives to my current format suck too much to switch. I could never do (A), writing only about the exciting life of Leora because Leora does not have an exciting life. My days usually consist of waking up after 30 minutes of hitting my snooze button, checking my bank accounts online, getting dressed and going to class, trying to stay awake in said classes, checking my bank accounts online in the computer lab, going home, studying, checking my bank accounts online, and then going to bed. Not exactly thrilling stuff.

And regarding (B), although you provided some excellent tips, probably wouldn't work so well either. I am just depressed by politics these days, only one of my professors has nipple piercings, and one (of the many!) virtues of dating a software engineer is that, despite all evidence to the contrary, he finds me interesting. You have amply demonstrated this point--maybe I am interesting compared to Operating Systems, but still. I may sometimes rant a bit (fucking Commies!) but really, there is a limit to how much I can bitch. Life isn't so bad, and there is a lot to be happy about. I find blogs that only complain about how 'shitty this is' and how 'shitty that is' pretty shitty.

But maybe I will try to experiment a bit in the next few weeks of how to spice up and add depth to my blog. So stay tuned, punks!

Anonymous said...

Life is definitely good right now.
Even with all of the work, the midterms, the massive 80 page software specification documents...
It's still amazing.
There's not a lot to complain about.

Last night, I was wandering around DC at around 1, and just stopped in the main area above the library. It's a really beautiful building. I was just standing there for a few minutes, looking out and thinking about what would make my life more perfect now. And honestly, I could not name a single thing. After a few minutes of silent reflection, I went back to the group, but it was definitely a highlight of my evening.

I'll blog about this tommorow probably, but your comment that life is pretty good right now made me think about it.

So in an effort to win your mother's approval, as well as stimulate the minds of your audience, I'll pose a non-fluffy question.

What would make your life happier?

Anonymous said...

hmm. You "moving on", perhaps? :-p

Leora said...

No, my dear Anonymous, I'm afraid that I'm neither "moving on" nor "moving out" or even just plain, ol' moving (has anyone ever cried reading my blog? I doubt it.)

But since I was never really good at interpreting the meanings behind a lot of cryptic poems in my English classes, I may not be understanding you correctly. Care to elaborate?

Leora said...

Oh, and to respond to your question, David, I also think that I am so blessed and thank G-d there really isn't anything that I'd change! Although I wouldn't say that my life is perfect, I think that I'm on the right path and just have to continue on it. I have very simple overall goals, primarily to help make the world a little better, and there isn't one thing, be it money, fame or Jonathan Taylor Thomas, that would make me so much more content.

Actually, wait, I'm going to change my answer--my life would be perfect if more UW buildings weren't so freaking ugly.