Wednesday, October 05, 2005


The weather in Canada is really strange right now. It fluctuates almost daily between cold enough to wear a jacket and sweater and hot enough to wear flip flops and a tank top. Unfortunately, I never know which kind of day it will be, so invariably, when I go out in the morning, I'm dressed inappropriately. This picture was taken 2 weeks ago when I went to the Toronto beaches with my mother. I was really overdressed in my cardigan and black pants, but we still had a great time. The water is Lake Ontario and probably not safe to swim in unless you want to become a two-headed mutant (and who doesn't? Bring on the toxic waste!) but there are a ton of other things to do as well. There are always groups of volleyballers setting up nets and playing, along with their lazy friends who sit under umbrellas, "cheering them on" and drinking beer. There are the children who get all excited when they see crowds of seagulls and run in their direction to get them to fly away (actually, my mother did that and she's not exactly a kid, but it still looked cool). In this picture I was copying some nearby woman who was skipping rocks, except I think that when I tried to do it, I was just "sinking" rocks. But it was still fun and I really do love going to the beaches, especially during their massive street jazz festival. In a few weeks, it'll be too cold to go there. The entire beach will be blanketed by snow and Lake Ontario will freeze into ice. It could be fun to skate on it, but by that time we're all too busy building our igloos to sleep in during the winter. Okay, I'm lying, I just wanted to see if any of you non-Canadians would believe me...hehehe.

4 comments:

Geoff Busbridge said...

Careful there, Leora! You almost told them there that Canada is actually comunist; we converted in the early 70's. True story; the Canadian flag is white for snow and red for comunisim!

Leora said...

Hey man, I may be pretty gullible (for years I believed my brother and sister when they told me I was adopted) but you already tried that one on me! So fool me once, yada yada yada. Despite your "true story" not being quite true, I do believe that Canada has some Communist roots. How else to explain the CBC?

I've been ranting about those fucking Commies for a while now on my blog and I have a feeling that Big Brother was getting a little upset about it. That's why my current conspiracy theory is that they sent Dwight to spy on me and report on my actions back to Commie HQ. Frightening, eh?

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't worry too much about the Commies - but watch out for hippies! They have friends in high places...

Leora said...

No, no, I'm not afraid of hippies. They've grown up to be accountants, dentists and teachers, and the only way that they "stick it to the man" these days is by buying overpriced organic produce at Sobeys and Whole Foods.

It's the Commies that we have to worry about.