Monday, October 10, 2005

Wandering Jew - Famous in Wateloo!

I have quite a number of celebrity friends: there's the beautiful and kind Sophie, of course, and I think that Nathalie Portman and I are fast on our way to becoming BFF. But Sabrina, a celebrity herself as the food critic for our university's student newspaper, decided to shine the spotlight on me for a change.

We went out for dinner for yummy Chinese food and she reviewed the restaurant for this week's column. Sabrina is a truly gifted writer and I always enjoy her work. This week mentions me, so I love it even more, even though it lets everyone on campus know that I am a Star Trek nerd with Hepatitis! But I'm so narcissistic that I am still honoured by the attention. Thanks Sabrina. Woohooo--I'm a super-star! Watch out Angelina Jolie!!

6 comments:

Avi said...

Natalie not Nathalie.

And what's with this British spelling? You're from Canada not the UK! Shame on you! Don't be like the crazy Brits. j/k

How is Canada?

Anonymous said...

Bravo on making Imprint! Even if it did reveal you as the Trek geek that you are, have no fear you are not alone! It's amazing the looks you get when you admit to loving the Trek... like you just "came out of the closet" or something and the person looks you up and down as if you are going to try and make them wear pointy ears. *shakes head sadly* And they never do wear the ears. ;-)

Meghan brought home an Imprint for me to read on Turkey Day. It certainly hasn't changed. Ah, memories!

Leora said...

Avi - I'm thinking that someone has to do a little amendin' before the Day of Atonement! Hehehe. Canada is a Commonwealth country so we still use the British spellings for a lot of words. Although, thankfully, unlike our motherland, we have good dental care.

You were in some of Natalie's classes, right? Any gossipy tidbits to share with my blog audience?

And Erin - I guess we should be honoured that people don't expect us to be Star Trek fans, eh? As in, we don't look like major losers that Star Trek fans are stereotypically considered to be. Or at least you don't, since you're cool and all. I carry around a pippete bulb in my backpack. Literally! So I guess I literally do suck.

Do you actually have pointy ears? And if so, are they Romulan ears or Vulcan ears? I think that I'd rather a Romulan because Vulcans are just too boring. Although I think that I have more in common with Ferengis (did I ever tell you my anti-semitism conspiracy theory that Ferengi are actually based on Jews?) I am such a geek. Have a happy Thanksgiving, by the way!

Anonymous said...

Hurray for all things British!

Anonymous said...

ha ha... suck... that's a good one! I stole a pasteur pipette bulb when I took micro and disease because it was the only way I could be guarenteed to actually get one (the lab was horribly run).

*sigh* alas, I do not have the ears. *pout* I do however, if it hasn't gotten lost in the multitude of moves I've undergone, a picture of me infront of a relatively realistic looking carboard cutout of the TNG crew with me sitting in the Captain's chair. :-D

Yup, you told me your ferengi theory... could be, could be. Though I'd be inclined to think they were capitalism run-amok. Though, weren't the Klingons supposed to be based on the Russians back in the Kirk days?

Now that I've done my trek geekiness for the night, I'll switch hats and finish downloading the Harry Potter trailer. ;-)

Leora said...

No, Lydia, not "hurray to all things British"! There are many British things that are unsavoury at best. I call Robbie Williams to the witness stand.

And I can do you one better, Erin. Years ago I got a picture at Canada's Wonderland of me with a Klingon. Or it's possible that it was just some pimply high school student whose summer job was to dress up in full Klingon gear for nerds like me who were willing to pay 5 bucks a photo. We were standing on a transporter set. It was cool. That picture is still around somewhere and I'm terrified that my brother will use it to show everyone during his speech at my wedding. (Although don't worry, Freddy, I have plenty of good stories to share during your wedding!)

I've also heard about the anti-Communist understones in ST, which just supports my opinion that Star Trek writers were brilliant--they also hate the fucking Commies.

And finally, have you seen the Family Guy movie Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story? Here's a transcript of one of my absolute favourite parts, when Stewie was talking about his cousin "Quark" Griffin:

(You see Quark standing at his bar in DS9 talking to Odo, who is actually voiced by Rene Auberj-how-the-fuck-do-I-spell-his-last-name)

Odo: I'm watching your every move, Quark, so don't think you can get away with any law-breaking.

Quark Griffin: Yeah, yeah, whatever, man.

Odo: I mean it! You'll have me to deal with!

Quark Griffin: Ohhhh, I'm really scared.

Odo: I could morph into a giant python and eat you alive.

Quark Griffin: Hey, here's an idea: why don't you morph into a guy with something interesting to talk about?


AWESOME, eh? Now that is funny shit. Stupid Odo. Stupid DS9. That whole series was irritating.