My friend Sabrina just gave me a compliment...I think. She said something along the lines of: "You're not like most conservatives and capitalists. Yeah. You actually have a soul." Hmmm. Thanks, I think.
Although I do have to add, to her defense, that I started off that conversation by telling her that unlike most left-wing hippy types, she actually stands up for her principles and doesn't just whine about the "unfairness of the situation" without doing anything to change "the situation".
I may have also been calling her a "bitch" all night but that's just because the Chinese restaurant we went to had table placemats describing what animal we are according to the Chinese calendar. She's a dog, and I, as you probably all know by now, am a bore. (Technically a boar, but I think that the other spelling is more accurate.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I'm commenting on my own blog--how sad am I? (Don't answer that) Anyway, I had a funny thing happen in my Human Molecular Genetics class this morning that fits in with this topic so decided to write it here instead of a main post.
Basically, we were going over the whole sequencing of human genes thing, called the Human Genome Project. My prof, like almost every prof and science teacher that I've had since high school, started ranting about how the poor, hardworking public consortium (the good guys) were slogging away at sequencing when suddenly, an evil, money-hungry company called Celera (the bad guys) swooped in and started their own sequencing effort and were doing it so much faster and efficiently. How dare they!
I am, of course, pretty conservative and believe that competition breeds innovation. It certainly did in this case--because of Celera's involvement, the public consortium cut their deadline by about 5 years, used new techniques or equipment and overall made the whole sequencing effort more efficient. And yet Celera is still being portrayed as the "bad guys".
The public vs. private debate is very complex, of course, and the concerns that private companies wanted to patent genes and charge exorbitant amounts of money for the information that they have do has some validity. But there isn't enough funding for public to do all the research that they want, so why not have private companies be involved also?
Many of my professors are die-hard academics and really look down on their colleagues who are involved in the business aspect of Biotechnoogy but I think it's fantastic. Of course the companies are doing their research for the money, but is that so bad? Shouldn't we all get paid for working hard and smart?
This isn't fucking Communist Russia here! (Yes, I haven't talked about the fucking Commies in a while, but in this case, it's appropriate). Long live capitalism!
The comment I am going to make is only barely relevent to your post - but don't get your knickers in a twist now, as it does have something to due with capitalism:
So, being poor and in the UK I have been trying to model myself after your own famous cheapness. I'm all "Leora is the best and I am going to be just like her". So I was at the grocery store the other day needing butter, and being cheap and all I bought the cheapest kind there (which had actually been more expensive to begin with, but was on sale). So home I went with "i can't believe it's not butter". The moral of this story is, whenever I cook anything with "i can't believe it's not butter" the entire apt. ends up smelling like something died, and the food doesn't taste much better.
ERGO: capitalism and it's system of competitive currency exchange rates floating on the free market sucks major balls because now i have to eat "i can't believe it's not butter" just because the british pound is ridiculously overvalued. QED.
ALSO: I hope G-d rains down bloody vengeance on the "i can't believe it's not butter company" and that their souls burn for all eternity in the firey pits of some Medieval Catholic hell.
There's no way that I can possibly disagree with you because you ended your argument with the good ol' QED. But I am very proud of you for being cheap. Here's a hint, though, to save even more money: Buy yourself a churner and make your own butter! Or even better, hire yourself one of the many illegal immigrant out there in England to do it for you for 5 pence an hour. Long live capitalism and slave labour!
Also, I love the British-isms that are already sneaking into your vocabulary: "knickers", "flat" and so on. Pretty soon you'll start calling cell phones "mobiles", elevators "lifts", eggplants "aubergines" and professors "buggers". Sounds like jolly good fun!
And finally, yes, I am the best and yes, everyone should try to emulate me, and not only for my charactersitic cheapness.
Today, as I was making a cup o' tea, I briefly considered setting aside the used tea bag for future use. But then I was like, "hold on a moment, that would be going". So instead, I divided all of my 2-ply kleenex into 2 1-ply sheets, because that was just the sensible thing to do.
I'm very, very proud of you, Lyds. Look how far you've come! I remember when you'd throw out my teabags (after they'd only been used 5 or 6 times!) when you were cleaning the apartment.
And now look at you: you're a beatiful, kind and smart cheap-skate! (Before you were the other three, but the last is the best characteristic that a girl can have).
Post a Comment