
No, unfortunately I am not back in Egypt right now--I'm still stuck in the 'loo. But I just found this picture and wanted to post it 'cause it's cool. This was taken at a bad angle but I was supposed to be standing right in front of the Step Pyramid, and with my arms out like that it would have looked like I was holding it up with my formidable strength. Yes, I am the queen of corny poses. My all time favourite one though was when I was in front of the Sphinx in Giza with a wondering expression on my face. The caption: Leora thinks by the Sphinx. Oh, my wit.
4 comments:
That's an incredible picture Leora. Not only for the corniness quality of the picture, but for the atmosphere of it. I was just looking at the ground there and imagining how cool it would be to see an actual dessert. (one or two S's ...I can never remember)
You've described it to me before and I've seen a lot of your pictures, but for some reason this one really captured the true journey-ness of your journeys. :)
How's that for a Buffy-ism? :)
Going to post the other one? Or is it already in your blog? It sounds chock full of corny-joke goodness.
Well thanks so much, David! But sadly, I do not have the "Leora thinks by the Sphinx" picture in digital format because my trip to Egypt was BDC (Before Digital Camera). Luckily, my friends Hanna and Marianne were kind enough to take many pictures of me with their cameras, including some very unflattering ones (like when the cat attacked my sarong).
And you have seen a real desert! You were in the Negev, right? That is definitely desert-y, and actually, it's one of the most beautiful ones in the world, at least in my opinion. Deserts are such an interesting biome (I think that's the right word...). I love the extremes of temperature and the barrenness, and how at first the landscape can look totally monochromatic but once you get used to it, you see it's actually quite colourful. Also the evolutionary adaptations that plants and animals have to go through to survive is quite fascinating. (Many are actually "cold-blooded", and not just in the Leora-way). And finally, I love sand dunes. Not even sure why, but they are just too cool.
Finally, yes, I do love posting pictures of my journeys. Looking at them now, a whole year later, is quite "trip"py! (Get it?! Trippy?! Yay to corny puns!)
Dude, it was you who was supposed to get those Sphinx pictures off Marianne, remember? My camera crapped out before then. Wow, that was the panic attack of the century, when I thought I'd lost all my pictures up till then. I remember twisting around up on that camel trying to fix it and you being certain I was going to fall off and crack my head open.
Hehe, I like how off my picture in front of the Step Pyramid is too, where I'm supposed to be holding the pyramid in the palm of my hand. Poor Abdullah wasn't much of a photographer. I really regret not having gotten a better picture of the Nile though.
To answer your past question, yes, we're still in T-shirts/jeans/sandals mode here in San Diego. Even though we got our first day of rain yesterday. We're not very bright. Actually, Californians just tend to ignore rain, as if if we pretend it isn't there and refuse to modify our dress code it will go away.
Yo dude! When Marianne gave me a CD with all her Egypt pictures there wasn't the one with me and the Sphinx. I do have it in print format so I suppose I could find myself a scanner if I really wanted to, but then I'd probably feel compelled to scan and post lots of LittleLeora® pictures, and then it would just be bad...
Maybe I'll just have to go back to Egypt to take more pictures. I wouldn't mind, actually, because it fucking rocked, despite the bombs and skeezy Abdullah and the 9/11 conspiracy theories and the fact that we got majorly ripped off for almost everything. It still is one of my favourite countries in the world!
Post a Comment