Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Corny science joke! Natalie Portman gossip! Deep thought!

Hello my little cherubs,

In case you didn't read my comment down below, I've had an epiphany. I've decided (at the gentle prompting of my mother) to try to make my blog a little less fluffy and a little more meaningful. Apparently my rants against the fucking Commies did not constitute as insightful commentaries on geo-politics. Since I am not all that deep, I need to still keep some of the old content. So in this post, I will have a science joke, gossip and a truly profound thought for you all to mull over. First, the science joke!

Q: What did one dipole say to the other dipole?
A: "Hey, have you got a moment?"

Insert sitcom laughter. And since it's a science joke, sitcom snorting.

Now, here's a juicy little tidbit about my BFF Natalie Portman. Apparently she's dating a non-Jew and her father keeps on making this same stupid joke with him: "It's just a little operation!" Hehehe.

And now, finally, that meaningful thought that I promised you. You should all ask yourselves:

People are people so why should it be that you and I should get along so awfully?

Wow, my depth and insight into the fragile human condition is amazing.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to admit it, but like most of your science jokes, that one went right over my head.

Leora said...

Oh, so that's why you never laugh at my science jokes, Lydiatchka! I knew that it wasn't because they aren't funny, because of course they are, hilariously so. Yay science!

I guess you just felt badly that you didn't get them. Is that why you and Jess made me stop telling them to people at parties? Because I'm sure that they were always a big hit.

Anonymous said...

No, we probably made you stop telling your science jokes at parties because we were jealous about how cool they made you look..

Anonymous said...

Your blog is showing increasing depth. It is now my 3rd favorite blog after "Angry in the Great White North" and "Monte Sohlberg's blog".

Anonymous said...

You refer to your "BFF Natalie Portman" - can you explain what a BFF is? I enjoy learning your lingo.

Anonymous said...

It's sad that I know this, but BFF is Best Friends Forever.
If you grew up with a sister who was hooked on the movie Clueless (and subsequently, have seen it a few times as well), you can start adding to BFF. You could be a BFFAE. Then you'd be best friends forever and ever...

I don't think Leora and Natalie are BFFAE yet. Just BFF. If they are... Well, we definitely need to have a Star Wars marathon with her. How cool would that be !?! It makes me giddy with nerd joy.

Leora said...

Phew, I really should be studying Human Molecular Genetics but responding to comments is way more fun. Probably not as helpful in getting me into grad school, but whatev.

So, Lyds, I suspected that you guys were jealous of my coolness. But don't feel too bad--I'm like the Fonz. Except I don't wear leather jackets. And did the Fonz know any science jokes?

Eema, I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying my blog more now, post-epiphany. But did you realize that my "deep thought" was actually a literary allusion? Those Depeche Mode dudes sure were profound...

Freddy (and nice pseudonym, by the way!), as David pointed out, BFF is best friends forever. And in real life, I don't usually speak like this, it's just that I've been watching Buffy a lot lately and it's sort of infectious. So don't go wigging.

And David, thanks for the explanation and yes, I do believe that Natalie Portman and I are fast on our way to becoming BFFAE. We just need to talk a little more frequently. Or at all. But once that happens, I'm not going to have a Star Wars marathon with her! No, I'm going to have her introduce me to Jonathan Taylor Thomas, the love of my life during grades 6 and 7. I was obsessed -- I had pictures of him plastered all over my room. It's actually quite sad now. But not as sad as Jonathan Taylor Thomas. What the hell happened to him?

Oh, and I really, really love the movie Clueless. Seriously. I know that a lot of people dismiss it as fluff but I can't understand why. The story is a loyal adaptation of Jane Austin's Emma, one of the greatest classics in English literature. And the movie, although about teenagers, is in my opinion, quite brilliant and deals with universal concepts. So why do people look down on it? I love it! Plus, it is a great place to learn late 90s slang. It's like they spoke right out of a YM magazine.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Dave and Leora, that clears things up. I neither confirm nor deny my identity, but have reason to believe that my sister did in fact like Clueless.

And yes, Fonzie is the man. I recommend that people watch that new show, which stars him (what's it called? out of practice or something?).

Leora said...

Wow, RoA, you think that your sister likes Clueless? You're demonstrating a high level of deductive reasoning--in fact, you're so smart that I think that you must be getting your PhD! Silly punk.

I do not have a television in my apartment so I do not know about Fonzie's new show, but there certainly are a lot of old tv stars making comebacks nowadays. Didn't William Shatner, best known for his work on that-show-that-I-am-no-longer-mentioning-on-my-blog, just win an Emmy award? Terri Hatcher is becoming famous again also with Desperate Housewives. I'm eagerly anticipating JTT's comeback.

Gilligan just died so I guess he won't be in a new tv show, unless, you know, the Messiah comes, raises the dead, and we need a little fluffy entertainment in heaven-on-earth.

Anonymous said...

Well, you won't believe it, but your BFF JTT apparently is in one episode of one of my shows.

He's apparently in one episode of Veronica Mars. I'm not that far along in the show yet, so I haven't seen him. I'll let you know how he does though :)

IMDB doesn't list anything interesting for him. Just voice acting things. He had his 15 mins of fame. Get him off the stage. I know he's your childhood crush, but I don't think it will work out between you.

And of course, I'm extremely glad you are watching a lot of Buffy. I hope the DVDs are getting a lot of use :) Ohh! And my parents brought up season 2. My collection is now complete. Life is somewhat more complete too :)

Some actors choose to never leave the scene. I guess they like the money. Understandably of course, but still. I would never want that type of fame. Look at poor Natalie! As I'm writing this, I'm thinking "Poor Natalie, always followed around and hounded", but at the same time, I'm thinking "Maybe Leora's friend has her email address"

Speaking of Will Shatner, have you seen the SNL skit with him at a Star Trek convention? So priceless!